• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recommended keyboards (again)

Share/Bookmark

Recommended keyboards (again)

Apologies for repeating a question which I know has been asked, but I haven't been able to find the answer yet....

But does anyone have any recommendations for a midi keyboard that satisfies the following criteria:

1. About 88 full size keys
    2. Mod wheel
    3. Pitch bend wheel
    4. Breath control
    5. Aftertouch

I am also very tempted by the Yamaha WX5 wind controller, does anyone use this for GPO?

Re: Recommended keyboards (again)

see the Namm news of the C.M.E. keyboards .....breath control, aftertouch...
    49, 61, 76 and 88key weighted version, knobs, sliders, transport controls.....at good street prices

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Apologies for repeating a question which I know has been asked, but I haven't been able to find the answer yet....

But does anyone have any recommendations for a midi keyboard that satisfies the following criteria:

1. About 88 full size keys
    2. Mod wheel
    3. Pitch bend wheel
    4. Breath control
    5. Aftertouch

I am also very tempted by the Yamaha WX5 wind controller, does anyone use this for GPO?
    Keystation 88 Pro. I've had mine for 5 months now and it works like a charm.

Question Re: Recommended keyboards (again)

Quote Originally Posted by dcoscina
    Keystation 88 Pro. I've had mine for 5 months now and it works like a charm.
    Gosh, I have to comment about this keyboard. I've had mine for about a month. It's been giving me problems, sadly. I use Steinberg's SX 3.01 audio/sequencing program. There were times that this program would cause the entire computer to freeze whenever I started it. I noticed during those times that the midi information from the keyboard didn't seem to - well - work. SX would not detect any midi information. Nothing. No depressed notes, no controller information. . . nothing. The computer freeze would happen whenever I attempted to close the SX program during this "no midi information" problem with the keyboard. Oddly, during the times when the keyboard DID appropriately send any midi information (notes, controllers, etc), all was well. But this only happend AFTER I restarted the computer.

I haven't had time to thoroughly investigate the problem. Understand that I have lots of STUFF attached to my happy computer: an external hard drive, a DVD burner, my audio interphase device, my midi device. All worked relatively well before I purchased the keyboard. The problems seemed to start only after I connected the keyboard. There could very well be any combination of devices/issues/drivers/whatever that caused my problem. But like I said, I haven't done a thorough investigation, so I'm hesitant to place 100% of the blame on the Keystation.

But I did discover a work-around!!! The problems existed when I attached the Keystation to the computer via the USB 2 input. I've since purchased that "optional" external power supply and attached the Keystation to my "system" via the old fashioned way. . . using the midi out from the keyboard to my MOTU MTPAV (which, by the way, IS attached to my computer via a USB 2 port!). NOW, everything is fine! No more computer freezes whenever I exit the SX program. And it now seems that the Keystation is sending all of the midi information 100% of the time.

Now I'm a happy camper.

I've read very mixed reviews on other bulletin boards regarding M-Audio's Keystation Pro 88. Many dedicated piano players don't like its action. Others have mentioned that it's not responsive to fast passages; it doesn't play 16th notes at higher metronome settings well. Still others don't like its velocity response. Me?? I never considered myself a proficient piano player (although keyboards are my "main" instrument). My playing technique leaves much to be desired, so I never play fast passages "at tempo" anyhow, so this isn't an issue for me. And, I always fine-tune the velocities of the notes that I feel need tweeking. In a nut-shell, this keyboard meets MY needs because I don't use it to gain good playing technique and I fine tune midi note and midi value settings all the time. And now that I found an acceptable and stable work-around. . . again, I'm a happy camper!

I've read the Yamaha makes really good controlling keyboards. Most people seem to agree that Yamaha's S90 works best for their needs. But that baby cost nearly $2000!

This post is probably as helpful as mud. I would be keenly interested to read other people's experience with M-Audio's Keystation Pro 88, though.

Good luck with your keyboard research.

Ted

Here's my computer set-up:

Dell Precision Workstation 650
    Xeon 2.8 processor
    1 GB Ram (soon to be upgraded to 2 GB's )
    1 internal DVD burner
    3 SATA internal HD drives
    1 IEEE 1394a external HD drive
    1 external SONY DVD burner via IEEE 1394a port
    MOTU's 828 MKII (another IEEE 1394a port device)
    MOTU's MTPAV (a USB 2 port device)
    One IEEE 1394a/USB 2 HUB
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    Steinberg's SX 3.01 - with Dongle
    Emagic's Logic 5.1 (LAWP) - It has a Dongle too
    Cakewalk's Sonar 3.1
    Steinberg's Wavelab 5
    Finale 2005
    Steinberg's HALion 3.1 - It ALSO has a freakin' Dongle too!
    Kontakt 1.5
    An ever growing library of softsynths including GPO! (Which I highly prize!)
    SONY's Vegas 5 & DVD Architect 2.0 (Great programs, by the way! )
    Sony's Sound Forge 7.0

So, as you can see, there's lots of opportunities for wierd conflicts to happen on my happy dedicated audio/video computer system. I think I'll just stick to connecting the Keystation to this system via the MTPAV device.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

I never had problems with the USB/Sonar/EWQLSO/Halion St/Gigastudio3/Ediroal SuperQuartet/Finale 2003 set-up but I also got an external power source since I didn't want to tie up a USB port with the keyboard. I really like the action though. The velocity is a little hard for soft piano passages but aside from that, it's great.

Go Back to forum