• Register
  • Help

Topic: First GPO piece completed - written to a brief!!

Share/Bookmark

First GPO piece completed - written to a brief!!

Hi all,

I have no delusions that I am anywhere near as talented as some of the people on this board, but here is my first completed GPO composition.

http://www.hitworks.co.uk/music/Italian%20Chef.mp3

It was written to the brief that it be remeniscent of Ennio Morricone's Cinema Paradiso soundtrack, though be more up-tempo. I hope I have achieved this!

All the strings (and the harp) are from GPO, the piano is the Galaxy Steinway 5.1 and the guitar is my Takemine nylon string mic'd with a Cad M9 microphone.

Please be brutal - I need as much constructive criticism as I can get.

Kind regards,

Graeme Osborne

Re: First GPO piece completed - written to a brief!!

I like this piece very much. It is great to hear what a beginner can do, since I am a beginner too. I wished this track had been longer, with some crescendoes here and there. A modulation into another key towards the end would also give it a little lift. Try adding a french horn and oboe counter melody later on. I think it would sound wonderful (even though it already is a great piece as it is).

Congratulations on your first GPO piece
    Thanks for sharing,

Kin

This is nice Graeme. I think it would be interesting to not have the guitar and piano playing in unison all the time....it would add a bit of variety. However, I do like a lot of this piece just as it is.....it's fresh...it's got drive!

I also think you've programmed the violin/viola rather well.....which variety is it?

Frank

Hi Kin, Frank,

Kin - I have read your comments and am just adding the finishing touches to an English Horn counter melody that is working really well - it was something I considered but decided not to include first time, so great minds think alike!

As for the track being longer, I was limited to a 1:30 max for this piece.

Frank - I totally agree about the guitar and piano! I will compose a new guitar line for the last 30 seconds or so to give it more interest. When I get back in the studio I shall let you know what Violin I used.

Kind regards,

Graeme

Can't wait to hear it
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Go Back to forum