• Register
  • Help

Topic: A little help for a real novice

Share/Bookmark

A little help for a real novice

Well, some 3 months after purchasing Gigastudio 3 orchestra and installing it on my computer, I decided today to give it a go. But I ran into a problem that likely has a simple answer.

My computer has large hard drives, 2 gigs of RAM, a Layla G3 sound card and a rather fast processor. GS3 loaded fine and is correctly registered.

There was reallly no problem finding the samples that I installed on my D drive and I was able to load several of the fine Kirk Hunter Solo strings to the first 4 slots for my string quartet. I was able to confirm the loading by using the keyboard that played back each of these expressive string sounds as I switched slots and "played" on the keyboard.

Then I loaded up Finale, brought up a string quartet, and on the Midi out menu under midi setup selected "Giga out port 1 / control."

I pretty much expect that I would hear the quartet when I clicked on the play button for finale. But instead I received some sort of error message....

.................................................. ..................................................

DEFAULT MIDI OUTPUT DEVICE

"This function is not supported. Use the capabilities function to determine which functions and messages the driver supports."

.................................................. ..................................................

I don't know if this message comes from Finale, Gigastudio or Windows XP. But somehow Finale is not communicating to Gigastudio. I am missing something here. (I thought that it would work like GPO, which would play back in this current situation if I loaded it and directed the midi output to GPO.)

Can someone clear this up for me?

David Young

Re: A little help for a real novice

You need to use a virtual midi cable, eg Maple from http://www.marblesound.com/. The output from Finale then goes to the output of one of the ports of Maple, and the Maple input of the same port is chosen in Giga.

Cheers,

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

GS has its own virtual MIDI, so you don’t need a third party tool like Maple.

Make sure you start GS first. Set Finale up as the “sequencer” in the GS settings, and start Finale by clicking the sequencer button on the tool bar.

Which version of Finale are you using?

Bill, what you say makes a lot of sense to me. I'll try it.

I have GS 3.03 on my C drive (I have not yet downloaded 3.04), and I have Finale 2005a on my C drive.

I'm just starting and trying to learn this. I am reading the manual, but the language is a bit foriegn to me... a hobbiest who knows music well, but very little about audio production.

Thanks for your help.

David

> the language is a bit foriegn to me

I know what you mean! You'll pick it up though. Don't be afraid to ask questions here.

Bill, thanks for the advice. I did it, it was easy, and now it works fine with Finale.

I am sure that I will have many more questions, but it is only proper that I read the manual again (and again) and try to learn from the manual before I start asking too many questions.

Happy composing!

David

Go Back to forum