• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Garritan Announces Solo Stradivari Library Using Groundbreaking SONIC MORPHING

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Announces Solo Stradivari Library Using Groundbreaking SONIC MORPHING

Garritan Orchestral Libraries Announces Ground-Breaking Technology

Garritan Stradivari Violin First to Feature New SampAlign Technology
    Demonstrates Monumental Realism and Expression for a Unique and Extraordinary Instrument

SampAlign “Sonic Morphing” Technology

At the NAMM show, a technological breakthrough in sampling and digital orchestration was announced. This new technology SampAlign TM allows sample sound waves to be harmonically aligned, something that has never been available until now. SampAlign Sonic Morphing creates the most expressive and realistic-sounding solo instrument samples available.

Morphing can be seen in motion pictures where there is a gradual transformation from one image into another. This basic concept has been applied to sound samples with our revolutionary and exclusive technology. The result is extraordinary levels of realism and expressiveness while preserving the natural characteristics of the Stradivari Violin.

Garritan Stradivari Violin Sample Library
    Stradivari is a name synonymous with quality. The Stradivari Violin is regarded by experts as the best violin ever made. An instrument of this distinction required a new way to faithfully capture its sound quality. Sonic Morphing is the answer. With the Garritan Stradivari Violin, users can actually play this instrument in real-time and change articulations while playing. In addition, users can seamlessly morph between different dynamics and hear changes in timbre as notes become softer or crescendo louder. Finally, users can control the onset, intensity and rate of vibrato; impart portamento, and much more.

Watch and Listen to the Garritan Stradivari Violin

Quicktime MOV movie (10MB):
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/StradivariLarge.mov

MPEG movie:
    http://www.gpo-uploads.com/StradivariLarge.mpg

Sonic Morphing Technology vs. Traditional Sampling

SampAlign Sonic Morphing provides unprecedented control over the dynamic flow of a musical passage

SampAlign Sonic Morphing technology aligns sound samples so they can flow into each other seamlessly. Morphing can be seen in motion pictures where there is a gradual transformation from one image into another. This basic concept has been applied to sound samples using our revolutionary and exclusive technology. Traditional sample libraries use discontinuous samples and transitioning between different dynamic levels (pp, mp, mf, ff) or different vibrato levels (non-vibrato, normal vibrato or lush vibrato) cause the listener to hear two distinct instruments (doubling) during transitions with disjointed tones and phasing issues. It simply was not possible to have smooth transitions applied to solo instruments samples. The diagram below illustrates what a user hears during traditional sampling transitions.

SampAlign Sonic Morphing Aligns the samples....

The samples morph into each other seamlessly with no doubling, phasing or sonic discontinuity. The result is extraordinary levels of realism and expressiveness while preserving the natural characteristics of the instrument.

Garritan Stradivardi Violin Sample Library
    Stradivari is a name synonymous with quality. The Stradivari Violin is regarded by experts as the best violin ever made. An instrument of this distinction required a new way to faithfully capture its sound quality. Sonic Morphing is the answer. Sonic Morphing provides a unique way to provide extraordinary levels of realism and expressiveness. With the Garritan Stradivari Violin, users can actually play this instrument in real-time and change articulations while playing. In addition, users can seamlessly morph between different dynamics and hear changes in timbre as notes become softer or crescendo louder. Finally, users can control the onset, intensity and rate of vibrato; impart portamento, and much more.

"We have spent several years researching and developing this process," said Dr. Giorgio Tommasini, developer and patent owner of sonic morphing technology. "Sampling technology is regarded as the best way to reproduce the sound of real musical instruments, but it has not been possible to get the expression of solo instrument samples due to its limitations. This new approach will provide unprecedented levels of fidelity and expression."

The Garritan Stradivari Violin is the first instrument based on this innovative SampAlign technology. Garritan Orchestral Libraries has exclusive use of this groundbreaking technology and other libraries to follow will be a string quartet and thenthe rest of the orchestra.

The Garritan Stradivari Violin is expected to be available for Macintosh and PC platforms during the 1st quarter 2005 for a suggested retail price of $199.00.

More information and demos will be posted soon.

Re: Garritan Announces Solo Stradivarius Library

*passes out yet again*
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Cool Re: Garritan Announces Solo Stradivarius Library

Quicktime MOV movie:
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/StradivariLarge.mov

Amazing!
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Hm... and I was just about to buy another company's solo strings set. Any idea of exactly what first quarter of 2005 means?

Right, I got the first three months part... doesn't take much to divide 12 by 4... but, I was inquiring as to whether we could expect to see this early first quarter or late.

Question Re: Garritan Announces Solo Stradivarius Library

Can anyone tell me the difference between sonic morphing and crossfading? There seems to be something about using zero crossovers, but I am not sure how that affects the sound - especially in relation to different timbres.

Whats the 'revolutionary' bit?

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Question Re: Garritan Announces Solo Stradivarius Library

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero
    Can anyone tell me the difference between sonic morphing and crossfading? There seems to be something about using zero crossovers, but I am not sure how that affects the sound - especially in relation to different timbres.

My guess is where it says above

phasing issues
    that arise when two solo samples are added using standard crossfading, they may not sound like a distinct solo instrument anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    To hear samples of this amazing technology, visit www.garritan.com.
    Are these up yet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero

Zero
    Yes, basically it is a crossfade but it's utterly seamless. That affects the sound mightily. It's not zero crossovers, it's crossing over at the zero point of the wave, and being able to keep the zero point of each sample in sync with the others at all times- it allows things to be done on the fly that previously could only be done after analyzing the waveforms and finding an appropriate edit point. It seems elementary now that they have done it- but no one came up with it before this!! And the application was probably a real bear- I'd love to know how they phase alligned a gazzilion samples. Wow.
    Ah, don't worry about what's under the hood- just listen to it and then see if you think there's something revolutionary at work!!

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Yes, basically it is a crossfade but it's utterly seamless. That affects the sound mightily. It's not zero crossovers, it's crossing over at the zero point of the wave, and being able to keep the zero point of each sample in sync with the others at all times- it allows things to be done on the fly that previously could only be done after analyzing the waveforms and finding an appropriate edit point. It seems elementary now that they have done it- but no one came up with it before this!! And the application was probably a real bear- I'd love to know how they phase alligned a gazzilion samples. Wow.
    Ah, don't worry about what's under the hood- just listen to it and then see if you think there's something revolutionary at work!!
    Thanks FredProgGH,

What you're saying is basically correct. The process could be described as a time alignment of the phase of the corresponding harmonics of all crossfading samples.

Quite simple, isn't it?

I don't think I'll try to understand how it works but it sounds brilliant!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum