• Register
  • Help

Topic: My First Full GPO composition

Share/Bookmark

Arrow My First Full GPO composition

Hey Everyone. I just bought GPO a few weeks ago. I'd been using FL studio for quite some time and have been with fruity loops since version 2. This song is fully GPO (with the exception of the drums of course) and completely created inside of FL studio using GPO as a VSTi plugin. I hope you all like it. I try to fuse different styles of music into my compositions, so those of you who are strictly into tradition may find my work a little odd. Those of you who don't and enjoy the work, glad to hear and I'm always looking for constructive criticism. A little background info on me, I've been in a few rock bands, one which was decently successful, but now I'm focusing on composition and scoring movies/videogames/anything I can get my hands on. I'm not classically trained, being that I can't read or write one note of music on a clef but I have an abillity to hear a whole song in my head and with the right tools, be it a guitar or FL studio, can reproduce it. This song is my first of many to come. If you want to check out some of my older stuff, you can find it under Latent on the New Music Canada website. Again, comments of pleasure, displeasure and helpful notes are welcome. Thanks.

Re: My First Full GPO composition

Quote Originally Posted by Stratercast
    Hey Everyone. I just bought GPO a few weeks ago. <edit>...This song is my first of many to come. <edit>...
    Thanks.
    Well, what are you waiting for? Keep 'em coming!
    I like this composition. I like the rhythm track a lot, although I haven't made up mind my yet if I like the kick drum not being as articulate as I usually prefer (maybe that's a GPO thang).
    The string timber starts to annoy after extended listening...so I wonder if re-orchestrating those lines with a variety of instruments (or doulbing with another color at times?) might help alleviate that. I mean, don't dump the string timber altogether, maybe, try to find a more strategic way to exhibit.
    But OTOH, I'm insane.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

I assume you are talking about the swells in the intro/verse. Did you mean the timber of all string parts or just the swells?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratercast
    I assume you are talking about the swells in the intro/verse. Did you mean the timber of all string parts or just the swells?
    No I didn't mean the swells. I guess it must be the melody. But as I listen again, perhaps I'm not hearing strings (alone, anyway), but I am actually hearing brass, right? The strings don't start doing the melody till about 2:30.
    Ok, look, I'm just one opinion, of course, and I get the impression that the melody is intended to function almost like a chant, maybe sorta transcendental.
    Well, while I really think your melody is an effective vehicle to pull that off, I am not comfortable with the instruments that were chosen to drive that vehicle. I just keep thinking that stuff needs to vary more...well, or get some kind of assistance from something else. While I love GPO instruments, if it were me, for a piece like this, I certainly wouldn't be against getting help from a layer or two of synths. Not just to support the melody, but to add some sparkle to the swells and/or arpeggiated lines as well.

But perhaps you're wondering what a real orchestra might sound like, in its 'organic' sense, to play a piece like this...something which might otherwise be commonly heard with electronic instruments. If that is your intention, I say go for it. Be bold. In that light, I would still experiment with it. Do a few versions of the piece with GPO. Then walk away and come back to it in several weeks or more, and review each version with fresh ears. If one of the versions strikes you more than the others...that's the one! OTOH, if you feel at that time that more tweaking is in order, have at it...walk away and come back to it later. Work on other stuff in the meantime. Eventually it will be the cat's meow. If you think that it's the cat's meow now, then stop listening to me, and create a brand new piece.
    And don't forget to post it!
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Go Back to forum