• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Embedded", barebone, minimal Windows DAW

Share/Bookmark

"Embedded", barebone, minimal Windows DAW

Hi all, it\'s been some time since I visited the forum.

After a recent discussion with a colleague of mine about Gigastudio workstations, I wanted to know more about dedicated embedded gigaracks:

Dedicated workstations usually are not \"so\" dedicated and more and more people (me too) are moving their dedicated gigaracks around like they are hardware samplers. Both on stage or in your studio, I feel that my Windows operating system, regardless about how much it is optimized, still contains lots of things I don\'t need for my Giga work.

Remembering of a cool discussion I had with Mr. Post, I feel that manufacturers and performers would really enjoy a dedicated workstation. Thinking about the Post Piano (which is one of the most amazing instruments ever played) I believe it would be great to have more horsepower,more rock solid stability from a sort of \"virtually embedded\" workstation.

I already have a windows-invisible workstation, where the OS is nothing but a barebone in engine and GUI, but I think more can be done.

I don\'t know maybe I need to update my knowledge about new hardware and software, I agree I\'ve been busy enough not to have time to deal with them, but just in case the stability and power lust is still riding the wave, I ask:
    does anyone know about barebone-minimal-\"embedded\" systems related sites on the internet?

Any resource is appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Alberto

Re: "Embedded", barebone, minimal Windows DAW

Originally posted by Alberto R.S.:
    I already have a windows-invisible workstation, where the OS is nothing but a barebone in engine and GUI, but I think more can be done.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Alberto, What do you mean by \"windows-invisible?\"
    I ask: does anyone know about barebone-minimal-\"embedded\" systems related sites on the internet?
    [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Embedded systems have either simple synchronous loop schedulers or real-time operating systems at their core. Since these operating systems have different capabliltites and interfaces than Windows, Giga and embedded would not be compatable. Windows CE is certainly lighter than Windows though I know little of it. I must be misunderstanding your e-mail. So you want to run GS on another OS?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I am not encountering problems with Windows in my Giga machines, which are used under studio and stage conditions. I think you must be very careful in eliminating OS components beyond the obvious ones, since authorization schemes, etc., depend upon other parts of the Windows structure to function.

GigaStudio is very good at taking the resources it needs. This may be a solution in search of a problem.

You are both right, I did some research on this subject, to come to the conclusion that my barebone custom-ripped Windows98SE is the best I can get for a Gigasampler system.

The term \"embedded\" was used incorrectly in my first post, as I now understand that, while I was just referring to \"an operating system which is manually modified to meet the needs of one particular application\", the standard meaning is different. Thanks for sharing even more light on this subject.

Bruce unveiled one of the greatest problems and he\'s so right when stating that there are \"solutions in search of problems\": I understood that for some people tweaking time is really funny and entertaining. With deadlines, paied work, sessions and whatever, tweaking time may be intended differently. I perfectly agree with him, this was part of my philosophy about computers for music: my gigarack computer has never been changed/modified in any of its aspects and still gets lots of mouths opened in wonder even from Giga-freaks which are (differently from me) REAL HW/SW experts on the field.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and opinions on this,
    Alberto

From your research , have you concluded that you can not strip down the Win XP OP system?
    It seems that I would be better if you could because XP is considered more stable than win 98.

From your research , have you concluded that you can not strip down the Win XP OP system?
    It seems that I would be better if you could because XP is considered more stable than win 98.

Yeah that would be cool! The more music may come out of an instrument, the more I love it :-)

About the XP<->98 question, stability and improvements in the XP versions are true, but I think that the main turning point to be considered has to be the application: Gigastudio. The way Giga has been developed makes it to work better on 98SE rather than on XP. I believe that the day Giga will be re-designed for XP, then it will become more powerful than it is now on 98 systems. For the moment, it does not take advantages of XP improved engine and in my experience, Giga has always given me less horse-power on XP rather than on 98 (one for all: I can load half the instruments on XP because of memory handling methods).

I bet version 3.0 is going to be XP-focused and I\'m expecting to see 3.0+XP far more powerful than 2.5+98SE (if that\'s not gonna happen.. well: better not to talk about it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Thanks for the feedback,
    Alberto

It would be cool to have a Linux installation package with soundcard support and a killer, dedicated sampler for one reason: to keep from giving Bill Gates $200 per machine!

Go Back to forum