• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: VSL's Multiple Personality Disorder

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

VSL's Multiple Personality Disorder

Hi guys,

I am working on a production of a fairly new play called The Violet Hour, which will have a jazzy score. I thought I would share an early mockup of the tune "Tickle Toe," which was written in 1918 for an ill-fated musical called Going Up.

But probably most of you will recognize the tune, because unlike the musical, the tune itself became a Jazz standard by way of New York to Kansas City then back to New York, and ultimately all over. Everyone from Marilyn McPartland to Lee Konitz to Art Pepper has recorded this tune.

Obvious homage to Count Basie and Lester Young here.

What I think is relevant to the Sample Library discussion is the fact that you can get some nicely articulated horn lines from VSL on a tune like this. At present, I am not sure how much of this sequence will actually be in the final version, but for now, I was able to get a surprisingly good mockup--enough so that my fellow collaborators know where I'm going with the energy.

Samples Used:
    • VSL C Trumpet, Grace Note leg-perf Clarinet ff, Xylophone, Trombone, Bass Trombone, Bass Trombone Gliss
    • Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums
    • Larry Seyer Acoustic Bass
    • Bardstown Tenor Banjo, Picked
    • The White Grand
    • Quantum Leap Brass
    I used two samples from QL Brass to help put some Dixie feel in the shout section, first the trumpet gliss, and then from the same GIG file, the little fall on the last trumpet note. Can't say enough good things about QL Brass...it has some of my favorite little sounds that can make all the difference in the world. The rest of the brass, including the ballsy bones, is all VSL.

Hope you enjoy this example of how sounds can be re-purposed to other genres. It was surprisingly easy to get this far. All I really did was just get the note lengths and accent patterns right. If I had gone in and done some judicious pitch-bending on individual parts, I think I could have taken it up another level very easily. Ultimately, if I keep any of this, I'll do that, and flesh out the arrangement a bit more. Hopefully the budget will allow me to bring in a clarinet player and a trombone player, and they can handle the fleshing out, haha. For now, it's close enough for jazz, as they say...

http://www.brucerichardsonmusic.com/...oe_scratch.mp3

Re: VSL's Multiple Personality Disorder

Cool one Bruce. Like it.

Luca

This is COOOOOOL

Enjoyed that. Great feel. Got me thinking of that Tom and Jerry cartoon where Jerry is bouncing around in time to the bass.

Steve

Those QL brass samples really do help sell it. I also think the clarinet sounds terrific. Fun stuff.

Best,
    Jay

Excellent. Well done Bruce.

Magnificent, Bruce!
    Captured that feeling really well.
    Larry's drums sound incredible here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Hi guys,

I am working on a production of a fairly new play called The Violet Hour, which will have a jazzy score. I thought I would share an early mockup of the tune "Tickle Toe," which was written in 1918 for an ill-fated musical called Going Up.

But probably most of you will recognize the tune, because unlike the musical, the tune itself became a Jazz standard by way New York to Kansas City then back to New York, and ultimately all over. Everyone from Marilyn McPartland to Lee Konitz to Art Pepper has recorded this tune.

Obvious homage to Count Basie and Lester Young here.

What I think is relevant to the Sample Library discussion is the fact that you can get some nicely articulated horn lines from VSL on a tune like this. At present, I am not sure how much of this sequence will actually be in the final version, but for now, I was able to get a surprisingly good mockup--enough so that my fellow collaborators know where I'm going with the energy.

Samples Used:

• VSL C Trumpet, Grace Note leg-perf Clarinet ff, Xylophone, Trombone, Bass Trombone, Bass Trombone Gliss
    • Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums
    • Larry Seyer Acoustic Bass
    • Bardstown Tenor Banjo, Picked
    • The White Grand
    • Quantum Leap Brass
    I used two samples from QL Brass to help put some Dixie feel in the shout section, first the trumpet gliss, and then from the same GIG file, the little fall on the last trumpet note. Can't say enough good things about QL Brass...it has some of my favorite little sounds that can make all the difference in the world. The rest of the brass, including the ballsy bones, is all VSL.

Hope you enjoy this example of how sounds can be re-purposed to other genres. It was surprisingly easy to get this far. All I really did was just get the note lengths and accent patterns right. If I had gone in and done some judicious pitch-bending on individual parts, I think I could have taken it up another level very easily. Ultimately, if I keep any of this, I'll do that, and flesh out the arrangement a bit more. Hopefully the budget will allow me to bring in a clarinet player and a trombone player, and they can handle the fleshing out, haha. For now, it's close enough for jazz, as they say...

Hey Bruce. When I saw this thread title I wasn't sure where you were going with it!

FYI, C-Trumpet, Solo, Performance Set, Legato, I believe it's the p version. This is a very "cool" Freddie Hubbard/Clark Terry that works terrific in a jazz setting. It's in both the First Edition and Pro Edition.

PA
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Nice cover Bruce. You just can't beat the VSL legato WW's can you! Great vibe.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Hopefully the budget will allow me to bring in a clarinet player and a trombone player, and they can handle the fleshing out,

Really nice stuff there!

Froma second listen I agree. Bring in a real clarinet and bone player and you'll have a very convincing piece!

Go Back to forum