• Register
  • Help

Topic: Contest piece

Share/Bookmark

Contest piece: Foray-Concert Overture

Congrats to the all the contest winners! I can't wait to hear the various submissions. I've been dying to post this, so in case anyone is interested, here's one of the contest entries that didn't place:

Foray, 7.5 min, 13.9 mb. (Sorry about the size).

It's a very dark, serious, brooding work (except for the very last note ). But nonetheless, I had a lot of fun putting it together.

Any comments or feedback, subjective or otherwise, are most welcome.

Re: Contest piece

Hi

I like it. I love those opening brass chords. You've deffinitly achieved a menasing sound for most of the piece. The way you ended it is interesting coz its a total suprize...I mean, I was wating for a big loud finale..but instead it gradually seems to "fall apart". hehe i loved that bit, origional

Cant wait to hear other enteries from people!!

Re: Contest piece

Loved the ending!
    Nice piece.

Re: Contest piece: Foray-Concert Overture

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    <edit>...here's one of the contest entries that didn't place:
    Wow! If I were judge I'd put it in the top twenty for sure. What an excellent piece. I'm sometimes skeptical of composer's 'pretentiousness' when they present a 'dark' piece, but I gotta tell ya this sounds like one honest (and courageous). It talks to me.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Talking Re: Contest piece

Superb !!!! great orchestration, think i'll take another listen !!!

Thumbs up Re: Contest piece

Ah yes, music to live by! Very nice indeed...
    Styxx

Re: Contest piece: Foray-Concert Overture

Thanks to each of you for wrestling with the download and eating all that bandwidth just to give a listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Birdsall
    I like it. I love those opening brass chords. You've deffinitly achieved a menasing sound for most of the piece. The way you ended it is interesting coz its a total suprize...I mean, I was wating for a big loud finale..but instead it gradually seems to "fall apart". hehe i loved that bit, origional
    First, kudos on pulling down the gold! I look forward to hearing the live orch. playing of your winning composition. Is it possible to have a listen to the GPO version?

The ending of this always kind of makes me lean forward and smile a little. The listener is pulled along through these massive waves of sound, and then when they least expect it, the effect is sort of like tweaking their nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Daag Nabbott
    Wow! If I were judge I'd put it in the top twenty for sure. What an excellent piece. I'm sometimes skeptical of composer's 'pretentiousness' when they present a 'dark' piece, but I gotta tell ya this sounds like one honest (and courageous). It talks to me.
    Pretentious? Moi?

Your comment has me smiling ear-to-ear -- thank you! It's always gratifying to learn I'm connecting with an audience. To take nothing away from the well-deserving winners in this round, the ways of any particular judging panel can be mystifying, to say the least. Guess I was barking up the wrong tree musically, but this is what I hear when I compose. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Go Back to forum