• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about Giga, Cubase and Drums

Share/Bookmark

Question about Giga, Cubase and Drums

Ive been using gigastudio with Sonar but wanted to see what Cubase SX was like,
    but I ran into a couple problems.
    First , when I play back the midi drums that I jus recorded in Cubase via my electronic pads triggering a giga drumset, Im hearing two drums stacked on top of each other playing .
    I uncheched midi through , but it still does it.
    Second ,I noticed also during playback of the drums that the time is a bit off , and I know it wasnt that way when I was hitting the drums during recording.
    I have a old pentium 450 but I dont seem to be pushing it to it\'s limits with just a midi drum track along with a single audio track.
    Thanks for any info on this issue, Ken

Re: Question about Giga, Cubase and Drums

I figured out the 2nd of the two questions, the reason for the lag time was giga was hanging up when polyphony got high.
    Still wondering why Im getting that flanging stacked drum sound?

As far as the flanging stacked sound goes , I her it even while Im playing through cubase , before I even record.
    If Im running giga by it self it is not there , But after I open Cubase through giga and set the midi port for giga , then I hear that stacked sounds.
    I also had that problem in Sonar , so I turned off midi echo, and it fixed the problem.
    I dont see anything in Cubase that say\'s midi echo.
    Maybe it has another name in Cubase.

The other common name is \"MIDI Thru\".

So, how do the user interfaces of Sonar and Cubase compare?

I\'m running Sibelius for note entry and Cakewalk Home 7 to sequence. (And Vegas/ACID to mix.) From what I\'ve seen of Sonar, the updates are 99% on the audio-side. I didn\'t see any MIDI features that go beyond my old, crusty version of Cakewalk. And every time I think to check out Cubase the Steinberg site is down.

Some things I would like are:

* The ability to do everything that I want to with a note without going back and forth to the toolbar. Shift-click, Ctrl-Click, Alt-click, Rt-Click, Middle-Click are all good. Toolbar modes are bad.

* The ability to instantly see which controllers have been tweaked. And the ability to see multiple controller windows simultaneously.

* The ability to draw a curve and easily hit full on, full off and middle. Sometimes you just want to center the darn thing.

And then there are probably a bunch of hidden features that I don\'t know I want yet.

Anyway, I\'m stickin\' with the PC so Sonar and Cubase are the choices. Please let me know which you prefer.

Thanks!

I can give you a more educated opinion later ,when Ive had a chance to work with them both more.
    Only worked with Cubase a couple hours , dont know my way around there yet.
    I think my initial impression is that Sonar looks more cosmetically pleasing, also in Sonar you deside were you put the song file after you have recordered it , in Cubase you decide before you start recording.
    I like the Key binding in Cubase better though, its more flexible, and its easier to kick on and off the metronone easier ,its right there on the transport, not several clicks away.
    Someone on this form said they had used both and was getting lower latency on Cubase with the same hardware, thats why I thought I should try it.
    I feel much more comfortable with the functions in Sonar though, but that might just be because Im more used to them.
    I read the other day in a music mag that Sonar is the only program that has 64 bit internal resolution, which benifits the sound quality of the app.
    Ill let you know more later when Ive had a chance to get Cubase working right without this flanging prob.
    Ken

Hi, those two sounds you are hearing happens to me too. I\'m running SX and Giga. I\'m not sure what causes it but the way to get rid of it is to click on the little keyboard (bottom left of screen) inside Gigastudio. Keep playing notes and clicking that until only one sound plays. Drove me mad until I figured out how to get rid of it.

Scott.

Ken, I\'m looking forward to hearing more about your Cubase experiences. Thanks for the preview.

Scott, the alternate solution to the \"click the keyboard\" thing is to launch the sequencer from Giga. Launching the sequencer from Giga and launching it from outside with a click of the keyboard (to turn it red) does exactly the same thing. At least that\'s what they say in the GigaStudio Mastery Tutorial.

****Originally posted by JonFairhurst:******

********* * The ability to do everything that I want to with a note without going back and forth to the toolbar. Shift-click, Ctrl-Click, Alt-click, Rt-Click, Middle-Click are all good. Toolbar modes are bad********.

In SX, you right click then the toolbar appears, then you click on what editing tool you want and then you edit your notes.

****** * The ability to draw a curve and easily hit full on, full off and middle. Sometimes you just want to center the darn thing.*******

You mean like panning and volume? In SX controllers like these are SOO easy to edit. You can draw curves and stuff nice and easy. SOOO MUCH easier than Cubase VST was.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Yeah, the drawing of the curves isn\'t too bad in the Cubase demo. I would like a keyboard shortcut to zoom in and out though.

But, the right-click method you mention is exactly what I dislike. It\'s mouse intensive. It takes a right-click a move, a click and a move back. And then I have to do it again to put it back into the previous mode where you started. And when you start an operation only to find that you were in the wrong mode and now need to undo a mistake, it\'s frustrating.

In Sonar I\'ve found that you can just grab a note and drag it up or down to another pitch.

So in Sonar it\'s click - drag - release.

In Cubase it\'s right-click - move - click - move - click - drag - release - right-click - move - click

That\'s a score of 3 to 10.

And I don\'t mind using my left hand to hold a shift key or some other modifier when using the mouse. My left hand is already there and can press a key in a split second without looking. So, for a ctrl-click - drag - release to select an area, the control key costs almost nothing.

Right clicking is great for offering a bunch of options, but it shouldn\'t be used to change the modes required for basic, repetitive operations.

Go Back to forum