• Register
  • Help

Topic: Something I entered last year

Share/Bookmark

Something I entered last year

On the subject of contests, this one is fun because it is almost always for very small chamber pieces. I entered it last year with my String trio No.1, op. 17:

http://www.lincer.org/comp.htm

They spelled my name wrong.

I will post my GPO of this piece on my website soon since I have a new, big server!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Something I entered last year

A finalist - great! Can't wait to hear the GPO version.
    Trent P. McDonald

Congrats on being a finalist! Thanks for sharing the contest, looks interesting . . . I've never tried composing something for so few instruments

Here's another competition . . . the big one:

http://www.masterprize.com/

Unfortunately the last winner's piece was not my cup of tea (that modernistic stuff I don't much care for ) but it might interest somebody.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I will be entering the Masterprize, but this is a contest that is entered by guys that are already on there way to being in Groves dictionary!

Hey! Don't knock the modern until you've tried it! I would say that any of the composers here can do it! Some of the art music now is not so great because the composer is trying too hard to be "out there" but some is also really excellent. Try new things! With GPO you can. I could compose a 12 tone orchestra piece and hear it! I haven't seen a professional orchestra tackle one except very rarely.

Atonal music can sound good. It just takes more work. Listen to John Williams serious music. I suggest everyone check out his Violin Concerto and his Flute Concerto. Also listen to the 'other' music on his Star Wars soundtracks. You know, the stuff that's not blatantly major or minor. Starting with Empire Strikes Back he goes atonal in large sections of the score.

I believe some of the most expressive music is possible because you don't have to worry about whether a progression sounds right or not! Just compose the melody you want no matter what notes it has in it!

Every composer should start off writing for single instruments, then small chamber ensembles, etc. Write for winds before strings. Most composition professors will have their students compose one or several string quartets before composing orchestral music. This method is very good.

OK Sean, I am done with my speech. Thanks for your kind words and I will get to work posting the GPO string trio now!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Here is the GPO renditions of my String Trio for the competition. I will probably enter again this year.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...533#post250533
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Thanks for the speech! Keep in mind, I'm young and naive . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum