• Register
  • Help

Topic: Competition Idea...

Wilton, NH

Competition Idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Plans are underway for the 2nd Annual GPO Orchestration Competition. We have some exciting ideas for next years events and would welcome any suggestions.
    Maybe not for the main event, but for one of the little contests we hold here on occasion…

It seems like anybody worthy of the title composer can take almost any combination of notes and create music. A great composer can take almost any combination of notes and make great music – just think of J. S. Bach’s A Musical Offering, a marvelous series of pieces created from a theme that was designed to stump him.

Wouldn’t it be interesting to put out a theme – the trickier the better – and have a composition contest where that theme has to play a predominate role in the compositions? Each composer can choose a style – from classical to rock to jazz to post modern – whatever the composer likes. Instrumentation is also up to the composer. I'm sure we would get some really interesting entries...
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Competition Idea...

That sounds like a complete blast!!

wow.. i swear to god that i had this exact same idea this afternoon.. so good work trent.

i second this idear.
    ""A woman should dress to attract attention. To attract the most attention, a woman should be either nude, or wearing something as expensive as getting her nude is going to be." -- P.J. O'Rourke

That does sound like fun . . . and a good exercise as well!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

i 3rd the idea!
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Go Back to forum