• Register
  • Help

Topic: OpenLabs "NeKo GS" - A GigaStudio Keyboard

Share/Bookmark

OpenLabs "NeKo GS" - A GigaStudio Keyboard

Did anyone happen to see this at Winter NAMM?

It appears OpenLabs announced a version of their NeKo "computer inside a keyboard" specifically to run GigaStudio 3!! Cool!!

Here is the Press Release:
    http://www.openlabs.com/press/pr_nekoGS.htm

From the press release:
    The NeKo GS will retail for a suggested manufacturer’s price of $4,995.00 USD.

Re: OpenLabs "NeKo GS" - A GigaStudio Keyboard

Wow, that's quite impressive. But is it going to cost 5000+ like their other Keyboard/workstation?
    Tim

Strange that we're in a transitional stage right now: The basic idea of putting what we can now do on a home computer in a keyboard, but at the same time being locked into older notions of what a synth keyboard costs.

I want one of these, but at the same time I know that it can't be very hard to attach a keyboard to a small computer. Just put one of those kleenex box computers on top of any keyboard and you have the same thing. If you already own a decent keyboard, it's another $500.

I think keyboard makers in general are in for an adjustment they just can't, for cultural and financial reasons, let themselves see. They're trying to add a gas powered engine to a horse drawn buggy when everyone's buying solar cars.

But they'll keep trying to retain the old model for several more years. When does Yamaha et al realize that letting users load 500 meg samples (in fifteen minutes) is a sign of defeat, and that they just need to put a standard pc in their keyboard with a big hard drive?

All I really want is an Ensoniq ZR-76, with lots of RAM, combined with a fast computer with a big hard drive.

Interesting, but some kind of hybrid laptop keyboard design would be better. Maybe I should start working on a design?

Small screen, touch pad mouse, small usb keyboard, and of course 88 semi-weighted keys with lots of knobs. Bet you could do it for less than 2 grand.

The Open Lab proposition is really convincing. Their GS 3 version ( NeKo GS) was used in the TASCAM booth and we installed our latest pianos on it for NAMM show demos. It really worked incredibly smooth. 100's of voices and more stable than my studio PC. The touch screen made me re-think the concept of laptops and rackmounts for live use. With the Open lab keyboard you don't need any of the ugly stuff (the mousepad, touch screen, the querty keyboard, midi faders, mod wheels etc are all in the unit). Setting up is as easy as plugging the power and audio lines in and pushing the power button. Open lab is located near the "Nemesys" development centre and they seem to be cooperating a lot.

In their own booth they showed off the keyboard with our Bosendorfer 290 plug-in installed and that was one of their best selling combinations

They are currently working on a 88 weighted key version of the keystation but that will become a larger box all in all. And this one is just right if you want to transport it -say take it on a flight to your next gig.
    The next 88 key version will be something that transports in a large flightcase - too big to take as regular luggage. But it would certainly be the ultimate live rig for pro's.

Small screen, touch pad mouse, small usb keyboard, and of course 88 semi-weighted keys with lots of knobs. Bet you could do it for less than 2 grand.
    Sorry, but you don't seem to understand how much a powerful PC system for GigaStudio 3 costs when it comes as a portable PC. The laptop alone would be around $3.800 (see the MusicShuttle laptops). Add the 88 keys weighted keyboard ($500), the midi control surface (faders and controls $250), the box... You'll end up far above $ 5.000 if you include the software....
    Really, the Open lab keyboard is a great deal.

Here is another one that you might like:

Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Yeah, 'cause with the wonderful acoustics and audio chains we have in our live venues will definetly showcase the quality of sample libraries.

We took a $300 Yamaha to all of our shows. With how crappy the audio reproduction was in these venues no one would be able to tell the difference between VSL and Casio, especially once you add the guitar's wall of 7k noise and the lead vocalist who eats the mic while singing producing nothing but booming 800Hz.

But for the album I wouldn't use anything other than the PMI Emperor.
    Lincoln Flesch
    Diva, GPO, GOS, LastLibs Bass, Scarbee's SID, BFD, Post Emperor and the MAG.
    ---------------------------------------
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    --Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

That aswers the other question raised earlier in this topic.
    When does Yamaha et al realize that letting users load 500 meg samples (in fifteen minutes) is a sign of defeat, and that they just need to put a standard pc in their keyboard with a big hard drive?
    As long as most people perform over a crappy pair of 's you can expect the 32 MB Yammie-Yamaha "triple-strike piano" sound to be more than sufficient. And as long as these big companies sell enough crap like this, (because everybody still buys their crap even when better is available) they'll continue to refuse bringing better equipment in the market. I do happen to know that Yamaha and Kawai are monitoring the sales performance of OpenLab very closely. When a critical border is passed Yamaha has an answer ready, but why would they release it now and kill triple-strike board sales forever?
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

I agree Post, I wish these live venues would upgrade their systems. We took a portable MiniDisc recorder to the PA board every night we could, but the engineer's had horrible mixing skills, couldn't EQ or pan worth a damn and levels were all off.

I've stopped performing live and only create music at my home studio now. The PMI Emperor has really come in handy there.
    Lincoln Flesch
    Diva, GPO, GOS, LastLibs Bass, Scarbee's SID, BFD, Post Emperor and the MAG.
    ---------------------------------------
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    --Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Go Back to forum