• Register
  • Help

Topic: Laptop and Soundcard

Share/Bookmark

Laptop and Soundcard

Hi everybody,

First of all this is a complete new world for me so yes... I'm a novice. I purchased G3 a week ago but I need a sound card device and I'm not sure if my laptop can handle G3.

Laptop:
    Packard Bell Easynote 3240 Video
    AMD Athlon +2400
    HD Fujistu 2.5" ATA-5 4200rpm Drive - 40GB
    480 RAM
    1,79 Ghz

Which sound card device should I use? I need few audio inputs. Midi has my main interest.

Thanks for helping me out,

Mark

Re: Laptop and Soundcard

Quote Originally Posted by kramusica
    Hi everybody,

Which sound card device should I use? I need few audio inputs. Midi has my main interest.

Mark
    Mark,

Echo makes a GSIF 2 sound card called Indigo. I have one myself and it's solid. It has a PCMCIA (CardBus) interface. Echo also makes a PCMCIA card (thats the female slot that's about 3" wide on your laptop) that will interface with some of their audio/midi modules though these products (Mona I believe) are fairly expensive. The Indigo is audio only though and you also need Midi I/O. Since you have USB 2.0 and probably only one PCMCIA interface, you will need to use that for Midi though I'm not certain how well it performs. I know people here have had poor response from USB 1.0 Midi. Though 2.0 is much faster, it may still not have the needed deterministic response. You will also eventually want to get more memory. Hopefully, someone here will tell us their experience with USB 2.0 Midi.
    Craig Duke

Thank you Craig for getting me on the way. I've noticed that Echo discontinued Indigo, Layla24, Gina24, Mina and Mona therefore pushing me a little bit more in the abyss of uncertainty.
    So I have to use a Card Bus besides a Midi I/O device?

I'm all ear for welcome suggestions. Thanks for helping,

Mark

Giga is not going to work on your laptop, so don't run out and buy a sound card. You need more RAM, and and at least a 7200RMP hard drive. Even if the program installs (and I doubt it will) you'll get latency and stuttering with a drive that slow.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Kleven
    Giga is not going to work on your laptop, so don't run out and buy a sound card. You need more RAM, and and at least a 7200RMP hard drive.
    Keith

Hi Keith,

I'm going to upgrade my laptop first. I've been shopping around for a sound card. What about the Tascam US-122? Any good? Or should I consider Echo or RME sound cards (an extra card bus is requiered to get them connected to a laptop).

Thanks a lot for helping me out,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by kramusica
    Hi Keith,

I'm going to upgrade my laptop first. I've been shopping around for a sound card. What about the Tascam US-122? Any good? Or should I consider Echo or RME sound cards (an extra card bus is requiered to get them connected to a laptop).

Thanks a lot for helping me out,

Mark
    Hi, kramusica,
    I too am into the "lap top thing". What do you plan to move up to?
    As far as the audio cards go, MOTU has an interesting one called The Traveller. Presonus also has one called the Fire Pod. They both are MIDI as well as Audio.
    Good hunting!
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

I have the Tascam unit and it seems to work pretty well. Make sure you get the best laptop you can afford. At least 1 gig of Ram a 7200RPM Hard Drive, A Pentium Processor and if possible an external firewire drive. I'd check with TASCAM to see what they suggest.

Best
    Keith

Wink Re: Laptop and Soundcard

Quote Originally Posted by Kleven
    Giga is not going to work on your laptop, so don't run out and buy a sound card. You need more RAM, and and at least a 7200RMP hard drive. Even if the program installs (and I doubt it will) you'll get latency and stuttering with a drive that slow.

Keith
    hi guy's i'm the one that will be tweaking the machine, kramusica asked me to join in, so her we go, the setup i suggested kramusica was the following
    upgrade the HD to a 7200rpm, get another 512gig, as far the configuration concerns i suggested to split the HD with partitionmagic, c 1 for windows home (internet and other office and kitchen tools) c 2 windows xp pro ( daw only ), no internet or any other crapp. instal giga, pt free,vst plug ins & synts etc... and tweak the thing. i hope this will work with a bell !!!
    grtz

Thanks Keith, GTBannah and especially Nish for getting me closer to GS3. This is what the set up would look like:

Packard Bell Easynote 3240 Video
    AMD Athlon +2400
    HD 7200rpm Drive - 60GB
    1024 RAM
    + 1,79 Ghz
    Sound Card: Tasam us-122

I made a mistake by ordering a usb (not firewire) external hard disk. I'll shop around for a decent one.

Mark

Take a good look at that external HD because most of them are dual mode, ie the have both USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 connectors and work with either one, at least all the ones I have and have seen are that way.

I use a Sony VAIO PCG-FRV27 laptop (2.66 gig P4) with a gig of ram and a US-122 interface and it works fine, although I'm not using GS3, only GS160 2.5 along with Sonar 4 PE and GPO. I'm also using a Korg Trinity V3 controlling a Roland Fantom XR module and a Yamaha Tyros controlling softsyths inside Sonar 4. I have a latency of 5.8 ms and everything works just fine.

My external HDs are connected to the laptop through a pcmcia 3 port Firewire card from Belkin and work great.

Tom

Go Back to forum