• Register
  • Help

Topic: It's About the Programming

Share/Bookmark

It's About the Programming

In the recent thread on SI's new orchestral library, someone mentioned that a) the prices need to come down and b) it's all about the programming.

The programming comment was a particularly important one. I recently downloaded RealGuitar and started playing around with it. The samples are relatively clean, sound good, but what REALLY sets this sample set apart is the programming.

It's much more than simple keyswitching. The way the programmers have laid out the keyboard and its functions allows you to create unbelievably realistic guitar simulations.

That kind of innovation is what the sample world needs. As great as I think GPO and other well programmed libraries are, I'd love to see developers take it even farther. In fact, if I were a developer myself, I'd be calling the guy who programmed RealGuitar as we speak to see if I could get his involvement on the next project.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Re: It's About the Programming

I totally agree. Its a real joy to use - a very musical product. Like you say, the samples are ok, functional and effective, but it has to be playable and that's why I use it more than any other guitar library.

Thats one of the things that impress me the most with Garritans new violin - it seems very playable, and programmed so I dont have to worry about it too much while composing

Does RealGuitar let you create convincing playing in a bass note, chord\bass note, chord way (Carter family style)?

How is it for brief solos?

The demos I've heard only good sounding strums, but I haven't heard anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    Does RealGuitar let you create convincing playing in a bass note, chord\bass note, chord way (Carter family style)?

How is it for brief solos?

The demos I've heard only good sounding strums, but I haven't heard anything more.
    You can definitely use it for chord\bass note playing. There's a specific set up for that (click a button) and it works beautifully. Also alternating strums, alternating single notes (extremely convincing), bends, slides (both programmable), adjustable strum speed, mutes, guitar hits, fret noise -- it's all there and a breeze to play.

They also sent me the tutorial and the guy does some amazing things in it. I closed my eyes and could not tell it was a keyboard.

Now, obviously, a well recorded guitarist can never be duplicated -- there are things I can do on a guitar that RealGuitar simply wouldn't be able to handle -- but for non-guitarists, IMO, it's a dream come true.

In fact, even for guitarists, the ease of use will often make you rely on it rather than drag out the guitar and mic.

If I sound like a shill for the company, I'm not. I'm just a lonely reviewer taking a look at a promising product. Check out the demo and see for youself.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum