• Register
  • Help

Topic: Changing boot drive letter...

Share/Bookmark

Changing boot drive letter...

Changing boot drive letter?

Well I can't for the life of me seem to authorize Kontakt. They are assuming it may be because my boot drive letter is D: instead of the standard C: . Of course, this didn't cause problems when I registered the Kontakt Player with GPO, so I'm really wondering if that's what the problem is. Anyway, I'm looking into changing the boot drive through a registry edit and I realize this is going to cause programs not to run if I don't make plans to alter their registries as well. I'm going to try Registry Crawler for changing the drive letter assignments in the registry so that the programs will work. Just curious if anyone has successfully done this type of thing. I hate to go through this and still have headaches. The only reason I don't just say effit and reinstall windows is that all these dang challenge response programs are a nightmare and I don't want any issues with them. Of course, now that I think of it, doing this will probably prompt them anyway and I'll just have to reauthorize them all. I'm not in the mood to reinstall all my stuff again anyway as I just did it 2 weeks ago. So any ideas are appreciated.

Re: Changing boot drive letter...

Joseph, as far as I know, you can't change the drive letter of your boot drive. I had the same problem that you are having with you NI products. For some reason they act up if your system drive isn't the C: drive. Windows won't let you change the the drive letter of your system drive. As far as i know, the only way to fix it is to delete the partition on that hard drive, and repartition it as the C: drive and reinstall everything. Hopefully someone else here knows of a different way, but I really don't see any possibilities that don't involve you having to reinstall all of your programs.
    Tim

You can change the boot drive letter in the registry.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    You can change the boot drive letter in the registry.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q223188/

?

It's dangerous territory in there...

- Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by sbkp
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q223188/

?

It's dangerous territory in there...

- Stefan
    Huh... Wish I would have known that a few months ago.... Oh well.
    Tim

Word to the wise.... Do not try this at home. I'm not the most savy person in the world, but after hours of editing registry data, it was all for naught. Looks like I'll be reformatting and reinstalling everything tonight.

Don't do this unless you have a Ghost image of the drive! It will screw up your registration info and you will not be able to login to the system. It's a rebuild after the registration info gets messed up.

Go Back to forum