• Register
  • Help

Topic: Win98SE to XP; Help!

Share/Bookmark

Win98SE to XP; Help!

My old Win 98SE machine is in the process of crashing. I have purchased a new Dell machine with XP. The problem is getting my Gigastudio 160 to install. It is an upgrade version 2.00 (the disk, actually I have updated to v2.5 via downloads, I think.), which of course works fine on 98, but will not work on XP. I had originally purchased an upgrade from Gigasampler LE.

I saw on the Tascam website that version 2.50.48 is XP compatible and available to registered users. I downloaded it successfully, but upon installation it says \"this is an upgrade, can\'t install because you have no previous version installed\" or something like that.
    Well, of course I have the old LE but it won\'t install under XP either.

Tascam is their usual terse, cryptical, unhelpful self: \"you need to buy an upgrade\"

What upgrade do I need to buy(wouldn\'t there still have to be a previous version on the machine?) Isn\'t there a way I can transfer my Gigastudio160 to XP without added cost?

Love the product, hate the support. Was actually thinking about buying a new library while the Soundsonline sale is on, but now looks like I may have to spend money on the old computer to save it. Anybody have any experience with this?

Carl

Re: Win98SE to XP; Help!

Check out the Tascam website for contact info. This issue has been brought on their forum many times. I believe you will need to contact them to get the download. There is no fee and since you already have Giga 160 you won\'t need to upgrade.

Thanks Haydn-

I did a search on the Tascam forum but coudn\'t find any messages with quite the same problem. Emailed the contact per your suggestion and hope I get a different guy reading it.
    Carl

Carlmsmith ,
    I recently upgraded to W2k Pro. If you are able to download 2.25.48 you are OK i.e. you do not have to pay for an upgrade, they know who you are. I know I ran into this same error but can\'t quite remember my solution. It was a simple solution though. I might have downloaded the wrong version(?). So, make certain you are launching gs160_v25048.exe file. You can\'t upgrade to a higher version until 2.50.48 is installed (you probably know that already). If I remember what I did I\'ll let you know.

Send some e-mail to Dave Casey of Tascam. You can search at the Tascam giga forum for his e-mail address or better yet, his telephone number.

Thanks Craig-
    Encouraging to know its been done. I presume your W2k was on a new computer that of course didn\'t have G/S installed.
    Will contact Dave if I don\'t hear from the email I sent to Tascam on this site.
    Carl

Originally posted by carlmsmith:
    Thanks Craig-
    Encouraging to know its been done. I presume your W2k was on a new computer that of course didn\'t have G/S installed.
    Will contact Dave if I don\'t hear from the email I sent to Tascam on this site.
    Carl
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, a fresh install of W2K. I was installing VSL, a DSL Router, Networking, MidiOverLan, KVM switch, more hard drives, RAM, GSIF SoundCard, GS, etc and kept switching for one to another until I got them all to work i.e. a big haze of a weekend. It was, in the end, a complete success though. I do remember downloading the 2.50.48 file several times though. Maybe I didn\'t downloaded the XP/W2k version. When in doubt, start over. If you happen to have GS installed (search around for components) you must follow their uninstall procedure. Fear not.

Go Back to forum