• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: NEW! Pual Thomson's Kirk Hunter Solo Violin Demo

Share/Bookmark

NEW! Paul Thomson's Kirk Hunter Solo Violin Demo

http://www.kirkhunter.com/libraries/strings.shtml

We're excited that the renown British composer Paul Thomson of Synesthesia (www.synesthesia.net) has created this beautiful solo violin composition using the solo violin that comes with Kirk Hunter's Concert Strings.

The piece is called Mephisto and no performance tools. This is "load and go" with the samples right out of the box.

The $399 NAMM special on the Kontakt Concert Strings is extended through January 31.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Thumbs up Re: NEW! Pual Thomson's Kirk Hunter Solo Violin Demo

Well, now there is a demo that gets me excited!
    That is one fine solo violin. How is legato handled? Are there portamento patches? Are the other solo strings at the same level, when can we hear those (both solo and all together as a quartet)?
    Which mic position was used? Is that the recorded hall reverb, or something added?

Thanks

Re: NEW! Pual Thomson's Kirk Hunter Solo Violin Demo

Great demo- but the reverb sounds very bad, IMHO. It sounds chorusy, and metallic. I think the excellent programming would be better served with a warmer, subtler reverb. Not trying to be flamey, just giving a humble opinion. It's great work though!!

Yes, this is one of the better solo violin demos around. Pete, are these newly recorded solo samples or the KHSS that happen to be bundled up the KHCS? What i mean to say is, can one get just these solo Violin samples or are they only part and parcel with the new KHCS . I`d also like to hear this demo with a better verb, maybe a nice hall using IR-1? Rich

I'm not Peter, but if I might be so bold, it is my understanding that the solo strings that are included with the Concert String library were taken directly from the 'Kirk Hunter Solo Strings' library that is separately available. The number of solo string articulations as appear in KHCS is scaled down a bit (some might say more focused).

There is no legato tool as such, but I've had good results using the keyswitched programs to adjust the attack as necessary during legato passages. There are also portamento patches for most of the solo, chamber, and symphonic sections -- which Mr. Thomson has clearly put to good use here. I hope to have a short demo completed soon that focuses more on the chamber strings (which are almost worth the price of admission alone, IMO), and will share it as schedule allows.

I agree the reverb on this piece is a little unnecessary. Would have been better with a touch of maybe Gigapulse or IR-1 -- but taste is a subjective thing...

Hope this helps,

David

Re: NEW! Paul Thomson's Kirk Hunter Solo Violin Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    Yes, this is one of the better solo violin demos around. Pete, are these newly recorded solo samples or the KHSS that happen to be bundled up the KHCS? What i mean to say is, can one get just these solo Violin samples or are they only part and parcel with the new KHCS . I`d also like to hear this demo with a better verb, maybe a nice hall using IR-1? Rich
    These are the samples from the KHSS reprogrammed for this library. It's a starter set. And the upgrade from KHCS is $149 for the full set.

It was gracious of Paul to do this demo, and we have one more coming. As a working composer yourself, you can appreciate that time doesn't permit us to do multiple versions with different reverbs.

I think the important recording point here is that you CAN apply different reverbs to this library. You're not limited by what we've consistently called, "light ambience."

This was done right out of the box. No special programming. No performance, iMIDI or legato tools. And look (and hear) the result.

KHCS is a helluva library at a killer price. C'mon, the Kontakt intro price ends on the 31st! So take advantage of it while you can.
    Peter L. Alexander

Smile Re: NEW! Pual Thomson's Kirk Hunter Solo Violin Demo

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Great demo- It's great work though!!
    Right on! Have I seen your order yet?
    Peter L. Alexander

Excellent demo...

But, (there's always a "but"), please consider losing the reverb, or at least placing it in a smaller setting. I think it's safe to say that the majority of "pro" users will not be impressed by that. We need to hear the details, and the verb is hiding them.

I'm a big KH fan, so please accept this "opinion" in the spirit in which it's intended...

I've posted these before, but they may be of interest to those who are comparing KHSS to other libraries.

http://www.planetcanadice.com/Music/...by_M_Drost.mp3

http://www.planetcanadice.com/Music/...et_M.Drost.mp3

http://www.planetcanadice.com/Music/Puck_M.Drost.mp3

The first uses KH Solo Strings (except for the viola pizzicato and violin pizzicato--sometimes too brittle for my taste--which are from Dan Dean Strings). The second is a snippet of the violin melody from the first piece.

The third is an excerpt from a playful chamber piece featuring violin.

Marko

Re: NEW! Paul Thomson's Kirk Hunter Solo Violin Demo

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    These are the samples from the KHSS reprogrammed for this library. It's a starter set. And the upgrade from KHCS is $149 for the full set.

It was gracious of Paul to do this demo, and we have one more coming. As a working composer yourself, you can appreciate that time doesn't permit us to do multiple versions with different reverbs.

I think the important recording point here is that you CAN apply different reverbs to this library. You're not limited by what we've consistently called, "light ambience."

This was done right out of the box. No special programming. No performance, iMIDI or legato tools. And look (and hear) the result.

KHCS is a helluva library at a killer price. C'mon, the Kontakt intro price ends on the 31st! So take advantage of it while you can.
    Thanks for the concise answer Pete,
    My problem is i already have too many String Libs that i havent even had time to fully explore. But i love the tone and Exp. of the KHSS ,nice and dark.
    If i were to purchase the Kontakt version (just the KHSS) would it have this new programing ( I know the sampes would be the same or is it only native to the KHCS package? Does the Giga version have this programing?
    Also just know that the type of verb use in a demo would never sway my decision to buy a Lib...I can see through that.. Sounds good, Best, Rich

Go Back to forum