• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Using Nuendo,problem with GPO and Mixer

Share/Bookmark

Using Nuendo,problem with GPO and Mixer

Hello,
    I have Nuendo 1.6x. and the latest GPO with the latest Kontakt. Is it possible to load one instance of the Orchestra ( 8 slots) and load only the first slot with and instrument , resulting in one track slider for adjusting the volume in the VST MIXER? Right now, if I load one instance of the Orchestra, and I get 8 sliders, whether I load any instruments or not! It makes for a sloppy looking mixer, hard to read.
    thanks,
    Georg

Re: Using Nuendo,problem with GPO and Mixer

I have Cubase SX2 a sister product. In my mixer you can set a mixer channel strip to 'can hide'. When this is done there is a button that can be used to hide all the strips which are set to 'can hide' - leaving only the ones not set ot 'can hide' on show.

The procedure has two parts:

First Step setting the channel strip to 'can hide'.
    The option button for this is in a very weird place on the channel strip. Go to a channel strip (in full extended view), aove the main slider, directly above the horizontal panning bar, there is a pale blue horizontal strip with three chevrons, click on this, a drop down list appears.

The list says something like
    Empty
    Inserts
    EQs
    Sends
    etc
    etc

At the very bottom you will find the 'Can hide' option click it. Nothing happens.......yet.

Step two: Go to the bottom of the list of icons on the left hand side of the mixer you will see a small icon featuring two cartoon 'mixer strips' which are diagonally shaded. If you hover over it the tooltip says "Hide channels set to 'Can hide'"
    Click this - job done

I hope this works with Nuendo but as I say I dont know your version

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Also, an interesting point. In a scenario where I have 4 different slots filled in an instance of the VSTOrchestra. Each slot has different channel (slot one, channel one, slot two channel two...etc..) I create 4 MIDI tracks in Nuendo. each one with a unique channel , but using the same instance of the VST Orchestra. When I want to solo one track, by clicking the solo button on the track, in the VST MIXER all 8 sliders ( as I mentioned in the above post ) are soloed, and none muted, instead of the slider I chose to be soloed.
    Thanks for the help

Zero,
    Thanks for trying, but there is not anything like that on the VSTMixer .... I wish there was. I looked and looked. Above the Horisontal pan are two buttons, "solo" and MUte" above that is 3 little buttons ( FX, EQ, and Ins). Above that is an Edit button, which brings up the instance of the Orchestra. Nothing under the slider either. This goes for the Master slider and the individual sliders.
    Still looking....
    I think I am more concerned witht he fact that the solo button and the mute button doesn't work.
    Georg

I wouldn't use the midi channels, it just adds another layer of confusion. The reasons are complex - I have just written a tutorial on this for Gary's site, it not up yet but there is a HTML version of the tutorial with pics is currently available here: http://www.kevintweedy.net/G/CubaseTemplatesForGPO.html

If not there is a non pic version in the tutorial section of this forum

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Ok I dont think I can help any more, Neundo seems different, but do try looking for 'can hide' in the operations manual

Best wishes

Zero

One last thing that doesn't make sense...

Even though there are 8 sliders present, if I have a few instruments loaded into the first 4 slots. The only slider that effects volume is the first of the 8. And to top it off, it turns down ALL 4 INSTRUMENTS EQUALLY. The other 7 sliders have no effect at all...even though I have each instrument in each slot set to a different channel, and each track that is using each instrunment is set to the corresponding channel. Yet, Only the first slider has any effect, and it is global.
    What am I doing wrong!?
    Cheers,
    Georg

Zero,
    Awesome article. Lookinf at the pics helped me understand where you were coming from, and also confirmed that Nuendo seems to be a different animal, but very very similar.
    Thanks for trying to help... Maybe i should go buy Cubase :-)

Still looking if anyone wants to take a crack at this issue.
    Thanks

Nuendo 2 works exactly as Zero described. Maybe Nuendo 1.5 is different... ? But you mentioned VST mixer. The mixer is more than a VST mixer, so are you sure you and Zero are talking about the same thing? Try pressing F3. That should bring your mixer up.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Thanks for your reply. I understand that the mixed does more than just control the VST Samples, including mixes audion etc..etc...
    The actualy dialog box that houses the Mixes is titled "VST Mixer". i was wanting to be clear.
    I have a feeling that Nuendo 1.6x is different, it must be a feature that came after that version. I have seen screen shots in his article that proves this to be unfortunatley true. Anyone want to disagree? i would appreciate the feedback.

I think that this is really a GPO question. Why does the solo button act like a group action when clicked. Why does the first slider of 4 instruments control a global reduction of volume on all tracks?

Earlier Quote:
    In a scenario where I have 4 different slots filled in an instance of the VSTOrchestra. Each slot has different channel (slot one, channel one, slot two channel two...etc..) I create 4 MIDI tracks in Nuendo. each one with a unique channel , but using the same instance of the VST Orchestra, on different channels. When I want to solo one track, by clicking the solo button on the track, in the VST MIXER ALL 8 sliders ( as I mentioned in the above post ) are soloed, and none muted, instead of the slider I chose to be soloed. They are acting as a group,

Go Back to forum