• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reducing stereo dimension to mono without unmapping

Share/Bookmark

Reducing stereo dimension to mono without unmapping

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to reduce the stereo dimension to mono WITHOUT unmapping samples?

Thus far I have managed to extract stereo compressed waves out of my Dan Dean solo instruments (with AWAVE), batching them to mono (with SoundForge) and replacing the original waves in the Gig files with these new mono files.
    This requires some silly renaming tricks, with .DXL etc.

AWAVE cannot do the conversion for me, as it dumps a lot of articulation info (it cannot handle layers, xfades, etc).

This SEEMED to work OK, the new files were much smaller, the sound was indeed mono [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] etc.

BUT - I now run into some weird phenomenon. When I pan such mono instruments, like the DD flute with Midi, all kinds of other midi events, such as expression, sustain, mod wheel, etc, immediately put the playing sample into a centered position, which leads to a lot of weird \"random\" panning in my tracks.

I assume this is some side-effect from using mono waves, while GigaEditor and GigaStudio still think there are stereo waves in the Gig file.

Alas, I have not yet found a way to the reduce the stereo dimension to mono, without unmapping all samples. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

Re: Reducing stereo dimension to mono without unmapping

Hmmm you could just use the DSP mixer in GS to narrow the perspective?

Re: Reducing stereo dimension to mono without unmapping

Hehe, right on Simon, I forgot to add that I am really cramming LOTS of instruments into my woodwinds/percussion machine [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    So besides having the mono sound I want, I also want to have some Double Dan Dean here.

Go Back to forum