• Register
  • Help

Topic: Special Thanks

Share/Bookmark

Special Thanks

I'd like to send a special thanks to all you guys out there that helped me get started with Giga....I could have NEVER done it without you .... You are all very special people ...

Keith,
    You helped me set up from the beggining, and you continue to help me out and for that I thank you tremendously...

Martin,
    You spent 3 hrs on the phone with me explaining many facets of Giga and of Window's to the point where I have a very clear understanding of everything you said ...If you're not already, you would make a GREAT teacher...I thank you so much for taking your time to go over things so they sunk in my thick skull ...

Andrew,
    You told me what the problem was early on, and I did not listen to you ...You then sent ANOTHER email to remind me ....Thanks to your persistance , I am up and running ...I will NEVER take your suggestions for granted again ....Thanks for being there , and for the reminder that sometimes things that may not sound like the answer, may come back to save your a_ _ in the end..

Jon,
    You always had me thinking and trying things out ...and had me laughing when I was ready to cry from frustration ....Thanks my friend...

If I forgot any of you , THANK YOU ALL !! This is a great forum, and has some of the best people that I have ever been on a forum with ....Thanks to all, and I hope that I get knowlegable enough to be able to help you guys out some time ...Many thanks to you all ...Sincerely, Jim

Re: Special Thanks

Don't leave us in suspense!! In the end, what was the problem?

Martin,
    I was just going to call you, but my phone is all full of static ....The problem was not the Kurzweil ....In the Echo Console you have a choice of running either WDM or PUREWAVE on all the in's and out's , both analog AND digital. ...Purewave is a hybrid way of bypassing a lot of additional crap and going very direct to the HD's...It states in the manual that since Giga already goes pretty direct that Purewave really doesn't benefit it .....Not only that , but the manual makes no mention of midi at all in Purewave, it only mentions how to change the audio settings ...I thought all along that Purewave was for audio only ....Andrew kept asking me if I had tried the Purewave setting ( which I hadn't ) and out of frustration, I tried it this morning , and it WORKED LIKE A CHARM !!.....No more hassles with taking the Gina card in and out a bunch of time's...So Purewave in fact has an effect on midi also ....I'm on my way thanks to everyone on this forum ....Sincerely, Jim

Jim,

Glad to hear it. Now you can have fun!! If you haven't done so yet, upgrade to the most current GS3 version (version 3.04):
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/updates.html

Depending on when your GS3 Orch disks were made, there are a couple of manuals that you should download:
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/gs3manuals.html

That's fantastic -- I'm so glad to hear it worked for you! Hopefully that will make up karmically for my accidentally flaking on the latest LANS hang.

I remember that when I first attempted to get GS3 running it was a few weeks before I finally had tried everything else except the PureWave setting. When I finally got it working, the computer's HD died (my "backup strategy" thread) and I had to set it up again. Then I experienced the same problem and was able to fix it again with the PureWave setting.

Enjoy!
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Here's the irony. GigaStudio has a reputation of being difficult to get going, but it was the Echo Gina setup that caused the problem.

I upgraded my system to an Athlon64, knowing that I was taking a risk with Giga. As it turns out, Giga loves the system. But my Echo MIA and Asus A8V-Deluxe were problematic. I don't know if I can blame Echo though. My Audiophile 192 doesn't work 100% on it either (no MIDI, no legacy audio, but GSIF and ASIO are fine).

So, go figure. It looks like Giga comes up clean, while the soundcards, motherboards and windows end up fighting one another...

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    So, go figure. It looks like Giga comes up clean, while the soundcards, motherboards and windows end up fighting one another...-JF
    Yea, and all in the name of "automatic everything" because you know, us users are not capable of making a few settings on our own. It's kinda like the mentality of the VCR. Hmmmm, the same people that designed tape recorders with VU meters (volume unit) and level adjustments, thought that "we" could not handle that type of adjustment on a VCR. Again the funny irony that the VCR doesn't need VU meters or level adjustments, because the meters would just stand still anyway with all the crappy compressed audio. I used to have a nice Sony VCR with meters and level adjustments, it was great to have them. It's a must in these computer systems to have settings and adjustments, but more importantly to have a system that does not do everything under the sun automatically, like some.

I guess the fine line is the fact that we are using consumer oriented products to produce professional results. It makes me think back when TEAC decided to change their name to Tascam, because they thought that nobody would pay professional fees to a studio if it was using a TEAC tape deck to record with, hence, they would loose sales. In fact, the TEAC recorders back then were perfectly acceptable sound quality.
    Oh what technology does.

Isn't it ironic that this same TEAC, has fought the fight and made some very good decisions through the years to keep up with the competition, and sometimes actually setting the standard by which others are compared, as is with Gigastudio. IMHO

Oh well I'm ranting again, but it was fun to remember the old days, notice I didn't say the good old days folks !

DPDAN

I am calling Echo tomorrow to give them a heads up on what I went thru, and what they should be printing in their manuals....The fact that this has now worked for at least 2 of us Echo owners who run Giga ( after much hair pulling ) say's to me that Echo support should know about this....Funny how they can say that the Gina 3G works with Giga, but they fail to tell you how to set it up to work with Giga !!.... It's a few software clicks away, and they can't tell you about it ?..... When I spoke to Tech. Support, and wanted to talk to one of the developers, you would have thought that I punched the guy or something ... You know when you are getting the run around, and you know when they are making you jump through hoops, because they do NOT know what the REAL answer is ... It's a shame !!... The change that I made was made in under a minute....They couldn't have told me to do this ?...
    It's a sad state of affairs that we are paying top dollar for so called "finished" products, when all we're actually getting is beta ware ... Forgive my angry tone, but this is crap !!......Sincerely, Jim

Synthnut, your frustration is completely understandable. You also seem to have a valid issue since you have a Gina3G. In my case, though, I hadn't a leg to stand on since I'm still using my positively ancient Gina20 with a beta driver that includes no support.

I'd recommend that you be as chill as possible when you give them a piece of your mind. They most likely documented your call and so when you call back the rep will read the record, see how pissed you were, and immediately be feeling on the defensive. So if you can be really nice about it, you may be able to convince them to walk the info upstairs and into the documentation.

On behalf of all us Echo users, good luck! Maybe if Tascam reads this they could add it to their list of known issues as well.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Andrew,
    I've had success dealing with Chris at Tascam ....He gave me some good info, and some other things to look at .... I would still be looking for an end to this problem had it not been for the Purewave issue....I'll call both Tascam and Echo .... They BOTH need to know what's up or there will be problems with anyone using either the Gina or the Layla card....I'm willing to bet that this is NOT an isolated incident .... I'll be calm ... ..............I think ...

Go Back to forum