• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga and Sonar 4 Pro and VSTs 1 PC or 2?

Share/Bookmark

Giga and Sonar 4 Pro and VSTs 1 PC or 2?

Dear All,
    My 1.8GHz P4 with 512MB RAM isn't strong enough to run GS3. I'm running into Voice stealing issues that didn't happen on GS 160 v2.54 running on an identical P4 machine that also ran Sonar 2XL. However, adding Maestro Tools and GSO did make it sweat a bit.
    I also plan to buy some heavy duty VST instruments. Should I buy the fastest machine I can find and hope that it's strong enough to run these VSTs and Sonar 4 Pro and Giga simultaneously, or should I buy 2 machines. I'd like to save a few bucks but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
    Kevin

Re: Giga and Sonar 4 Pro and VSTs 1 PC or 2?

An opinion, nothing more: get a new PIV 3.0 - 3.4 with 2 gigabytes of memory, get an extra 512 MB for your present computer, and use both. One could run sonar + gigastudio 3, the other perhaps your existing gigastudio 2. Other configurations possible, of course. If you go for two computers, you just need to plan the midi connections between them and the audio connections. If you have limited desk space, get a kvm switch too, so you can use only one computer keyboard and monitor. Once gigastudio is up and running, you don't need to look at it much, so you'd spend much of your computer time at your sequencer or keyboard.

You can easily use multiple machines with MidiOverLan. It is a great tool that sends midi across your LAN network, basically letting you drive multiple Giga machines from one sequencer.

My dear friends,
    Currently, I am running two computers with one monitor, keyboard and mouse. One runs Giga, but not real well. The other runs Sonar and my VSTs. It used to run Giga 2.54 and launch Sonar from within that. However, wen I upgraded to a MOTU PCI424 card and installed SP2, launching Giga 2.54 would cause the system to crash. I have since disabled giga in my msconfig, and everything else, Sonar4 and Sibelius 3, runs fine.
    I'm not concerned about MIDI and audio connections with two machines. As I said, I'm running two identical machines and I've got the connection thing down. I did pre-purchase a copy of East West's "Symphonic Choirs." I just asked what the hardware requirements were for that product and the answer from East west is printed below:
    Get a 3gigz processor, 2 gigs of ram and a SATA hard drive, and a video card with 64 megs of ram.. That should take care of it.
    MY GOD I HOPE SO! LOL! Lord how things have changed in just three short years. Anyway, let's see if that alters anyone's opinion. I'm leaning more and more toward two rack mountable boxes from Open Labs One will be for giga, the other for Sonar and the VSTs.
    Stay in touch,
    Kevin.

One thing I forgot. How do I tell whether the voice stealing issues I have are a function of insufficient RAM, processor speed, or disk access? To recap, I have a 1.8GHZ P4 with 512 RAM running GS3.04. My sounds are streaming from a Glyph GT050 Fire Wire drive with an average seek time of 8.2ms. The processor indication on the bottom of Giga doesn't seem to max out. But the voices start breaking up at about 40 or so. Based on the specs shown in the Giga manual, my sense is that since i'm right on the edge of the possible with respect to processsor speed, but well under the recommended seek time, It's the RAM and processor. Any thoughts?
    Hope I didn't send this twice.
    Kevin

This question is for those of you who have Sonar and giga. I'm considering buying a computer from a company called Open Labs from Austin TX. URL: www.openlabs.com. Has anyone had any experience with them? Does anyone have an opinion of them?
    They make DAWs with a Windows XP Pro tricked out specifically for music. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of very processor intensive and disk intensive VSTs. Have any of you used VSTs and Giga when both the VSTs and Giga are located on a computer other than the one where Sonar resides? Assuming you could get a box big enough and fast enough, would it be possible to run a number of VSTs and Giga simultaneously on one machine which was connected to your Sonar machine through appropriate audio and MIDI cables and control everything from within Sonar, assuming you had assigned your in and out ports correctly?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_H
    You can easily use multiple machines with MidiOverLan. It is a great tool that sends midi across your LAN network, basically letting you drive multiple Giga machines from one sequencer.
    Wouldn't you have the same functionality simply by running MIDI cables into your giga machine from an 8x8 MIDI interface? What does MIDI Over LAN give you that standard MIDI connections don't? What kind of hardware is involved and at what cost?
    the other thing I want to know is whether it's acceptable to run Giga and a number of large scale VSTs from one and the same computer which is connected to the Sonar computer. See other message. For purposes of answering this last question,assume that disk space and RAM and processor speed are no object on the computer in question.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Sorry, no experience here with VSTs and gigastudio together. Sonar and gigastudio, of course, work fine together. And your 8x8 midi should be fine, no reason to use an ethernet midi application.

If you have a Sequencer on one PC (SONAR) and GigaStudio on another PC, everthing will work just like the Giga box was a midi sound module.

The Giga Box needs midi input, and then you have to somehow get the audio output out of the "module" back into your Sonar computer.

You CAN set everything up with midi interface boxes and midi cables (just like you would a hardware synth or keyboard). If you had a midi 8x8 box on both computers, you could get 8x16=128 midi channels into Giga.

The "MidiOVER LAN" product uses standard Ethernet networking cards to send midi data from one computer to another. The advantage is you don't need hardware midi interfaces:
    http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

Once you get into "networking", there is another alternative to route both midi and audio over the network, using FX-Max's Giga programs:
    http://www.fx-max.com/

Regarding OpenLabs, they announced a new nekoGS keyboard (their keyboard with GS inside). Therefore, they have been working with Tascam to ensure compatibility. If you are considering their "rack computer", I would tell them you are planning to use it with GigaStudio:
    http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...R/NeKo-GS.html

P.S. - I don't know anymore about these products, but I have been looking at them because some day I plan to buy a second computer.

P.S.S. - Regarding your performance problems, who knows who the "culprit" is. GigaStudio makes demands on RAM, hard drives, and the processor. Most people who have had success with GS3 have 1.5 GB of RAM, and a 2-3 GHz processor.

Go Back to forum