• Register
  • Help

Topic: Choir Chords

Share/Bookmark

Choir Chords

I've been working on a piece for a while that calls for some choir. I'm thinking about buying ECC, but when I play chords will I get some weird sounds? Not clipping or distortion, more like an overload of tone.

If one key has 10 singers on it and I have a chord will it make it sound like 30 voices? Will it get blurry or fuzzy when playing the choir as a chord?

Thanks in advance.
    Lincoln Flesch
    Diva, GPO, GOS, LastLibs Bass, Scarbee's SID, BFD, Post Emperor and the MAG.
    ---------------------------------------
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    --Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Re: Choir Chords

Just curious... What is ECC? Extended Classical Choir? The Sadleladheck (spelling? LOL) choir?

That's the one Joseph. The only one I could afford right now (though tentatively waiting for the prices from Bela D Media). I may splurge with my tax return though and get ECC while I'm waiting.

Do you have ECC (or any other choir) that you could try the chord thing with?
    Lincoln Flesch
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."

Don't know this library, but...

I'm confused--the one key has 10 people singing the same note\octaves or chords? If they're singing chords, and you add singers singing the same chord, it could get ugly. In any case, I think that would be no way to know how it will sound without trying it. I think the sounds would blur, but it depends on the how the singers are spaced out around the mic for each key.

Would it be better to just have the ten singers and then add solo singers with several other keys and see if you can pan them in so they seem to stand on the same sound stage?

I don't know how big the sections are, but what I was asking was like, if the sections are, say, ten singers, all singing in unison... if I play a chord, say A minor, will the chord result in 30 singers? and if it does, does this sound weird at all?
    Lincoln Flesch

I am not familiar with the library in question, but yes I would assume that in playing a chord it would sound like 30-50 people. Unless the lib comes with divisi patches (not something I have seen in choral collections) there isn't much hope... there is still a long way to go in choral sampling I'm afraid..
    Looking forward though to seeing what the new E/W Symphonic Choir can do though. I wonder if they have taken that divisi problem into account?

what is ECC is you don't mind me asking...
    i'm also looking for a good chior soundbank for my music.

cheers.

Extended Classical Choir.

Anyone that can load a patch up and play some three and four part chords for me? Report back what you hear?
    Lincoln Flesch

Link check your PM.

If one sampled note has ten singers, the second simultaneous note adds ten more, etc. The only way around it is to use solo singers and construct the choir with individual voice tracks - the old-fashioned, Isao Tomita method, but it still is the only way at present.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum