• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A real fusion piece

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation A real fusion piece

Here's a tune I wrote and started producing 11 years ago:

http://www.decamusic.com/the_perform...the_Dragon.mp3

At the time I was begining to learn the ropes of being a musician/composer/engineer/producer (I am still a beginner in many aspects)
    I made so many mistakes during these recordings...
    I was using 2 ADATs and a Digidisign audio media 2 with a 25 Mhtz Mac !
    I had no idea what dithering was so I was dithering the same tracks over and over

As time went by and I wasn't happy with the result, I would add some of the latest toys I had bought. I started these tracks with a Roland JV 80 and a Yamaha TX802. I used Battery for the drums and when Stylus came out I added some loops. I also used Reaktor for some percs loops and Pentagon 1 for some synth parts.

I had some of my friends come and play on these tracks:
    Will Calhoun is doing a percussion track using a Korg Wave drum,
    Ralph Bowen plays the tenor sax and the flute
    John Swana plays trumpet and the EV
    I play guitar

After leaving it alone for 2 years, this afternoon I brought up this tune that I never seemed to be able to finish. It's been 11 years now and I got sick of redoing it over and over...so I decided that I would just mix it with all its imperfections and come to a closure. That's it, no more. It's yours now.

I hope that you'll enjoy some of it, dated and all...

Thumbs up Re: A real fusion piece

Great piece - I love the turns in it, and each instrument's solo made me think "this is the best part" then "no... *this* is the best part"... right now it's a dead heat between the muted trumpet and the synth. There's some pretty stellar playing and a vibrant mix.

Thanks for sharing this, especially after all this time. It's certainly reached a nice vintage!
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Thumbs up Re: A real fusion piece

Ditto! Well done!

How some of you guys are not on the big screen is amazing to me.

Audiomedia II card? Wow that is old. I think they have an III version now or something called Digi 001 or 002 - something like that
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: A real fusion piece

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words!

Houston, if your favorites are the trumpet and synth solo then you are talking about the same guy: John Swana. He uses an EV (midi trumpet controller) to do the synth solo. I recall he had done an EV solo even better than this one but unfortunately I had forgotten to hit record
    He is an amazing player based in Philadelphia.

Frank, thanks man. My fusion career came to a stop 8 years ago when a chronic case of carpal tunnel on both hands forced me out. Not being able to play 6 or 7 hours a day, I couldn't keep up with the very demanding discipline one has to subscribe to in order to keep up with all the great musicians out there.
    Over time I switched to production and scoring. I need to catch up with you guys now

It's all good anyway and the fusion scene has dried up compared to the late 70's. I am totally in love with scoring for the orchestra and all the amazing possibilities we have at our finger tips these days.

Nice track! What sample lib did you use for the sax?

Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Nice track! What sample lib did you use for the sax?
    it's called the Putyourlipstothemouthpiece & Blow.
    You just feed it and it will go on for a lifetime.

Never gets absolete either...

Talking Re: A real fusion piece

Quote Originally Posted by P de Caumette
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words!

Frank, thanks man. My fusion career came to a stop 8 years ago when a chronic case of carpal tunnel on both hands forced me out.
    I know how you feel. My wrist sounds like a cement mixer. Too many years of intense Geddy bass licks!
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by P de Caumette
    Frank, thanks man. My fusion career came to a stop 8 years ago when a chronic case of carpal tunnel on both hands forced me out.
    Same here. After 19 years of living and breathing guitar, my left hand went completely useless. Jeez, that was 21 years ago now.

Anyway, I loved the music and recording. Great guitar playing!

Thanks Ned!

Sorry about your hands guys...

What did it for me is that I would be practicing for 6 hours, then switching to the computer to produce my music for 6 hours, then to take a break I'd be playing video games for a few hours.
    What an healthy, well balance life style! Not!!

Talk about serious hand abuse!

Anyway, I believe everything happens for a reason. Now, at 45, I am happier than ever. I won't be able to make the contribution to the world of guitar the way I intended to but there so many avenues to express oneself!

...and I can still play one hour a day without pain

I love it....Reminds me of Weather Report..you know, Birdland or something.

Go Back to forum