• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: what do you use? midi keyboard or mouse

Share/Bookmark

what do you use? midi keyboard or mouse

hi.
    i'm just wondering if it's worth getting a midi keyboard for composing my orchestral music.
    right now i am just hitting in notes with my mouse in cubase sx 2.

i'd like to know how many people are composing orchestral music with gpo or similar using a midi keyboard and who just uses the mouse and staff/key editor.

i don't play piano, i can't even read sheet music, would anyone still recommend me getting a midi keyboard for orchestra?

Re: what do you use? midi keyboard or mouse

Mouse/button pusher here. I've got a keyboard, but have still yet to master it. I also use the virtual keyboard in Tracktion for playing out ideas every once in a while.

Keyboard affords you more expression than the mouse. I like using my keyboard (although I need an updated one) but the mouse is not entirely ruled out. I use the mouse for correcting notes, adding and editing on score or in piano roll. That's pretty much a given.
    For me, keyboard with mod wheel, a hama sammich, a cup a Joe, and my toolabox.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by FireRaven
    I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a midi keyboard for composing my orchestral music. I'd like to know how many people are composing orchestral music with gpo or similar using a midi keyboard and who just uses the mouse and staff/key editor.
    I use a Roland PC-300 USB keyboard (4 octaves). To me, a keyboard or any other midi controller is useful, specially, if you like to improvise songs. The step entry method, on the other side, is quite slower but gives you a nanometric control over the interpretation. My friend Claudio Mandonico, who sent to this forum some music composed with Finale 2004 + GPO, works generally on a step-by-step basis, but I must say that the music is already in his head before any computer or live performance is done.

China

I use the keyboard 85 to 90 % of the time and the mouse the rest. I in-put the notes (with velocities, modulation wheel, pitchbend, etc) with the midi-keyboard and fine-tune the sequence/sound with the mouse.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

thanks for your inputs all

thanks for your inputs all
    the music I am scoring right now is in Sibelius(using a mouse) but I'll have to do the production in Sonar when I am done.(will use keyboard) So I guess I use a mouse and a keyboard. It really is a must to have a keyboard, you'll want to record over parts with your own playing for more realism, you'll want to take advantage of midi controllers on it. You'll want to learn how to play the paino^_* having a midi keyboard is a must for jazz as well, so you can do your own improvs. Hmmm man you should at least learn some music notation there are tons of sites on the web to get you going with just basic theory. Also it's nice to have a full scale keyboard with it's own sounds, a synth, your synth can play all the vst's on your computer and samples, from your rompler on your computer. Your Synth will have it's own High Quality Sounds and will allow you to record into and create phrases etc, it will have it's own high quality efx as well. Bottem line set yourself up with a midi keyboard

I use the mouse in piano roll view.
    There's not room for my keyboard in my current setup.

Quote Originally Posted by squoze
    I use the mouse in piano roll view.
    There's not room for my keyboard in my current setup.
    yeah, there's no room here for a keyboard as well. but i might go with a small maybe 3 octive one. when i think about it i might buy one, i want to make use of the wheel for orchestral realism. also being slightly out of time with the notes will add some natural symphony realism.

the only thing i'm think about is will there be a major lag when using it with gpo or ewqlso vsts... think there will be. well i can always record using a basic synth and change the instrument after.

hi.
    i'm just wondering if it's worth getting a midi keyboard for composing my orchestral music.
    right now i am just hitting in notes with my mouse in cubase sx 2.

i'd like to know how many people are composing orchestral music with gpo or similar using a midi keyboard and who just uses the mouse and staff/key editor.

i don't play piano, i can't even read sheet music, would anyone still recommend me getting a midi keyboard for orchestra?
    Well, if you can't play piano or read music, I don't see value in a keyboard for you unless you intend to learn how to play it and to read music. But one big advantage is that it is not as likely as mouse usage to give you hand and wrist problems. Years ago, I entered quite a bit of music into a program called "Score" (very good program), using a mouse, and it cause me quite a bit of pain and stiffness in wrist and fingers, so I switched to a keyboard, and use a mouse mainly for editing.

Richard

Go Back to forum