• Register
  • Help

Topic: You gotta hear this!

Share/Bookmark

You gotta hear this!

Thai Elephant Orchestra

"This is, I believe, the first CD ever recorded of instrumental music featuring non-human players. It's a project of the Thai Elephant Conservation Center, a government facility in which domestic elephants are making the transition from forest workers to interspecies ambassadors. In keeping with the center's exploration of human-elephant interaction, a set of instruments were designed with the elephants' particular dexterity and strength in mind. The resulting music is uniquely fascinating.

"The overall sound is that of a spacy gamelon orchestra, but as producer Lair's lively notes make clear, the elephant players were not just banging randomly. There is a spaciousness that immediately reflects awareness of the group interplay, and many specific examples of discrete care and discovery on the part of the elephants. Luuk Kob, the "Buddy Rich of elephant percussionists", redeemed a failed slit drum by discovering its one sweet spot and learning to strike it at the precise angle that would yield an optimum sound. Meanwhile, harmonicas became "the first elephant music fad", with the animals wandering the forest playing through the tips of their trunks.

"The disc includes 12 pieces played by the Elephant Orchestra (with humans cueing the start and stop on each instrument, but the elephants choosing all the notes and rhythms), along with six tracks involving more human collaboration and a burst of pure elephant vocalization. All in all, a compelling testimony to the creative impulse in our mammalian brethren.

LINK

Re: You gotta hear this!

Yeah, I saw this a while back on Dicovery or PBS I believe. Quite remarkable but the poor SOB perform for peanuts.

I just know John Cage is in there somewhere in spirit! Also reminds me of the University at Beeffalo percussion ensemble.
    Gives a whole new level to "Stomp"! Or, heavy metal!
    Styxx

That's my kinda stuff!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Exclamation Re: You gotta hear this!

OH NOOOOO !!!!

the elephants are taking over !!!!!

...now where's the proof? perhaps it's only a real bad musician that doesn't see another way as declaring his music played by elephants. ?

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    ...now where's the proof?
    Will any proof every be able to convince you besides a live audience? Video could be faked as well!
    perhaps it's only a real bad musician that doesn't see another way as declaring his music played by elephants. ?
    Perhaps! But I find the concept of elephants playing (with human guidance) to be entirely feasible. In fact, their methods are suspiciously close to how I use code to execute algorithmic composition: "with humans cueing the start and stop on each instrument, but the elephants choosing all the notes and rhythms". In a similar manner, I tell my computerized "improvisers" when they can start and and stop and set up what instruments they're playing on, but they can also take more complicated directions than that (speed, range, dissonance, etc).

I always wanted to try such an experiment with chimps, and design durable instrument systems to see if they could learn to play off one another (which sort of dovetails into my eventual goals for interactive music exhibits). There's a chimp compund nary 2-3 miles from my house where they're doing all sorts of interesting stuff for OSU's "Comparative Cognition Project" utilizing a lot of touch-screen interfaces (if you've seen the nature show "Keely and Ivy", they're in that same program). They're also doing stuff with analyzing vocalizations and "local dialects". Extremely cool.

I'm definitely in the wrong field! Anybody out there with grant money for me?

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum