• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi Connections - Logic 5.5 and GS160

Share/Bookmark

Midi Connections - Logic 5.5 and GS160

Hello all,

I\'m trying to setup a system with Logic 5.5 and Giga 160 on the same computer. So far I\'ve been using GS live standalone. I\'ve read a thousand posts so far tonight with no luck.

The computer is as follows:
    AMD XP2100+
    512 RAM
    RME DIGI96/8 PAD

When I run Giga standalone, I can get great sound but for some reason, when I open Logic through the \'launch sequencer\' button, I cannot get Giga to play the midi from Logic.

Logic is assigned Audio Ports 1-4, Giga gets 5-8.
    My Logic midi channel is set to NemesysMidiOut1.

Is it something obvious? I\'m just learning Logic so any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance...

Re: Midi Connections - Logic 5.5 and GS160

this looks to be a midi-routing-issue. i had a similar config some months ago (besides there has another midi-app been chained between logic and gigastudio).
    first try to set midi-in in gigastudio to [none] and set midi-out from logic to nemesis-port (for each corresponding midiport-number)
    if that does not work you need virtual midiports (like midi-yoke or maple midi tools) and route your midi-out from logic to a virtual midiport and select in gigastudio this virtual port as in.
    hth, christian

Thanks Christian,

It seems I\'ve stumbled across something strange.

I installed Midi-Yoke and I could not even start GigaStudio. After formatting, re-installing only my OS, Soundcard, , Keyboard, Giga, and Midi-Yoke, I tried again.
    Unsuccessful. I can run diagnostics mode fine but not full Giga. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

OK, so I go into the hardware settings in XP and uninstall Midi-Yoke. Presto!
    Now Giga works again but not with the sequencer yet.
    I\'ll try Maple next and fill you in. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

If anyone has suggestions please feel free...

Ben Ripley

Ben,
    Are you running XP or 2000? If so, search this and the VSL site. i believe many have had problems using midi-yoke with these OSs but not with maple midi tools.

Thanks guys,

OK, it looks as though this is not a midi issue but an audio routing issue...

I setup Maple Midi Tools and I can play my keyboard through Maple with good results.

The problem is that whenever I select outputs other than 1,2 for Giga, I get no sound. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Any help is appreciated...

I\'m using an RME Digi96/8 PAD.

For example: Everything works on outputs 1,2. Set outputs 7,8 to enabled in the Hardware/Routing page. Set analog output to 7,8 on my soundcard settings dialog. No sound. I can however, see the audio signal registering on the DSP Station Mixer.

OK almost there!!!

I had to enable the Force ADAT mode on the soundcard to enable the other outputs. Now GigaStudio will listen to the midi from Logic.

HOWEVER, when I play a note, I get static on the left channel and the sample on the right. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Anyone experienced this?

Make sure both apps are set to the same bit depth and sampling frequency.

JW

Go Back to forum