• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Review: Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums / Do you have it?

Review: Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums / Do you have it?

Ok I thought I would post a little review of the Larry Seyer Acoustic Drum Library. I have had this library for about two weeks and have been using it and learning about it almost everyday.

Installation : went perfectly, everything in it's correct place the first time around.

Manual: Manual comes in a PDF format and is easy to read and understand. Also, I think it explains gigapulse way better than any manual I have seen from Tascam. (perhaps Larry should write one?)

Download and installation of bonus drum kits and midi files : flawless, just like the main installation. There really is nothing else to say, it's hassle free.

Now to the good stuff.

I am using this library on my dedicated 3.2 ghz pc with 1.5 meg ram and a raid 0 set up for the sample hard drives. The sound card is a VSL2020 by Steinberg set to 128 samples.

The sound of these drums is absolutely stunning. In a surround format using gigapulse they are incredible. The clarity and "ring" of all the samples are simply are as good as you can get.

A GSI file on my machine loads up in about 10 sec. A single GSI file has one complete kit and using the quicksound feature in GS3 you can swop out any element of a particular kit in seconds and be on your way.

All of the GP "room colors" are wonderful too. you can mix and match, remove alter or change endlessly and the sound is clear, and transparent. (You can use these room colors on any instrument you want. If you have other drum libraries that you like, simply load up a "room color" into GP and go.

The midi files... All of the 1400 or so midi files make the entire library a stunning success. Many, many styles are covered and with just a little bit of tweaking you can get the midi files to be anything you want. Best of all, the midi files sound completely realistic..

The use of "round robin" or multiple strikes has such a profound impact on the sound and believability of this library. Being able to alter the "strike" on a snare drum (eight different ways!) or a hi-hat makes all the difference.

In case you have not guessed I am completely enamored with this library. I have a 7.1 surround set up and I have just been loading up the 7.1 kits and jamming. I actually had several musicians in my studio over the weekend and we just turned it up and played.... incredible.

Oh i almost forgot, Larry has a "room color" patch called "dry cleaner" and you have got to try it some of your existing drum libraries. Makes your drums sound, punchy, fat, and focused.

Thanks Larry, and the team who helped create this incredible library.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Re: Review: Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums / Do you have it?

It's flawless. I have yet to run into a wall with it. If one were going to get really picky, you could perhaps want for another set of toms. But the advantage of this being a really amazing player's actual performance kit (and being struck by said player) is more than compensation for that. I actually adore that tom sound, so I am thrilled with the library as is. You get such an integrated kit feeling, the GigaPulse serving as overheads is a great example of that technology being put to a solid musical use. The thing just works--it's subtle when you want subtle, and full-balls when you need it.

Bruce, glad to hear you like it as much as I do. I hear a a lot of talk about BFD and such, but I don't think anyone can truly appreciate what a difference the sample variations on the snare and hi-hats do to the these drums. Completely realistic!

Larry is really using what GS3 has to offer and it's awesome!

Los Angeles, CA

Buying it very soon!
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

How does this compare with SID? Have anybody done such a comparison? Or is LSAD "SID for GS3"? I own SID and run it using Halion 3 and I have roughly the same opinion about SID as you seem to have with LSAD (without the gigapulse part). What is the size of the library and how do you control e.g. the opening of the hi-hat?

Ditto here. I have Larry's drum for a while now and at first I was a bit intimidated by the depth of this library. There are more than 100 drum kits in this lib. And there are, what seems, millions of GP presets. The way Larry recorded these drum sets (phase and time aligned) with 13 room banks and 18 different player locations with 7 channels in each room is unique (that is 126 impulses per bank!). He pre-configured almost 1.400 drum kits with this material.
    I had the pleasure of meeting Larry during the NAMM show (he is very friendly and fun-loving guy!) and he showed me the ease of use. You load the audition drum kits patch, which has complete drumtracks recorded with the different drum kits, play around until you find the patch that suits your choice and simply slide up the mod wheel: a friendly voice tells you what drum kit and what variation you have selected! Enter those keywords in Giga's QuickSearch window and load the full kit. That was a nice trick.
    I wonder if (or when) Larry will release a brush variation of these sounds...

Library size is 8 GB (free disk space) and hihats open and close with sustain pedal or key selection.

The GigaPulse content provided by Larry is perhaps the most promising part of it all. All his GigaPulse impulses are amazing. The 5.1 and 7.1 variations are incredibly convincing.
    One of my favorites has become the "Dry Cleaner" colorization, one that adds one of the nicest signal path colours I know. I use it on many instruments now.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Michiel, glad to hear you like the library as much as i do.

what I think people might not realize is that beyond the fantasic sound of the drums themselves, you get all of the reverb "room colors" that you can use on any instrument but you also get all the midi files that have been programmed to make use of the EXpanded layout that takes advantage of the multiple strikes per instrument.

I've been working on a little piece this morning, and I loaded up the demo content included in GS3. Very nice indeed! So many drums to choose from these days, but this library is excellent, if not the best I've heard. They sit very well in a mix, too...which is always a characteristic of samples that appeal to me.

The full version does look a bit overwhelming. A lite version would be nice...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

It is not at all overwhelming...more like a mixer. There are a thousand thousand knobs. But once you've learned a single channel-strip and the output section, you know the board.

Same here. Lots of repeats for different degrees of surround, full-hits or low-latency hits, etc. But the reality is that it is just a single drumset, with a few interchangable elements. That's the power of it. You wouldn't want a subset, because you wouldn't be nearly as able to match snares, kicks, cymbals, sticks, etc., to a given use.

The low-latency hits are really trimmed right up to the hit. If you have a low tolerance for latency, you use those to program, then switch to the regular hits when you mix, and bump the track a few ticks forward to compensate. I personally don't hear enough latency to affect me in the regular hits, which capture that tiny bit of air in the immediate instant before the hit. You sure do hear the difference in the feel of the track, though, so I would always mix with the full-strikes. I don't even feel the difference when programming from the keyboard. On pads, I can feel just a teeny bit of lag. I personally can deal with it, but I am also not in any way shape or form claiming to be drummer enough to be affected by a bit of latency.

The switching out of drums, etc., is really simple stuff. Larry has done quite literally all the work, you just exchange elements like you'd load any instrument. If you want to switch snares, you just look for the one you want, detach the current snare, and drag the desired snare onto the stacked instrument. Everything else is automatic. Ditto with changing the impulse. It's sitting in a dummy-gig on the stack, all you do is detach the one you don't want and add the one you do. You can even drag multiple impulses onto the stack, give them discrete routing, and then assign different parts of the kit to different back-end treatments. One example I use is if you want tight kick and hats, and a little loooser drums.

It's pretty darn awesome. In terms of using GigaStudio to its full advantage, this is one of the killer libraries. There is very little one can say about it except that it just ridiculously works. And as complex and flexible as it sounds, it is actually simple to use. You just load and go. Despite all the tremendous variation of snare hits, etc., you pretty much don't need to worry about it.

Tip: Just play the parts simply, using a minimum of positional variants, etc. It's as easy as any GM drumkit to program in that way. Then, you can use the wheels to alter hit/stick variations after the fact. If your sequencer supports interpolation, you can select all the snare notes in a given pitch class and interpolate them to positional strikes based on velocity, etc. So, you can play simply up front, and really dive as deeply as you care to go without needing to worry too much about the underlying flexibility. It will always be there, ready to go. And that is not to say that one really needs to even use it. Even if you play a single note snare-part, the round-robin and virtual-overheads provided by the GigaPulse engine are going to take care of you very well. The rest is just icing. You can quite literally just roll the mod wheel a bit on a tom-tom freakout, and get the feeling of a player at the edge of technical control (randomizing some rim hits, etc.).

There is something very powerful in the collaboration of a really world-class drummer with a sample library. This is one of the things I have been insisting as truth for years. Drums are not simple. Studio drummers don't grow on trees. It is rather sad, but most drum libraries I have heard, almost every one, lack the vibrancy of performance, because they're not being struck by world-class drummers. It's not just the "touch," it's also knowing from years of playing experience at high levels which "hits" are important to get, and how they should translate into the sampler and mapping scheme so that when one triggers them with a musicians hand, the result is predictable in its kinetic musical energy. It's not a trivial distinction. It is the single reason that sample libraries of any ilk either work or don't work. You have to have master musicians involved at ever step of the way, or things happen in production which ultimately cause that musical disconnnect--that we end users in turn must fight against in producing musical sounding works from samples. And drums are a fairly low-maintenance mapping job. The phenomenon is even more pervasive in continuous-tone instruments. It is a rare combination of co-creators which ultimately produces libraries that have musicality. This is one of them.

Thanks Bruce..I've been looking at drums lately. As much as I want to get BFD, I really think the Larry Seyer is the best sounding.

What about patterns? Does it include any midi files, and if not, does it work OK with GM files I have?

Thanks for the info

Go Back to forum