• Register
  • Help

Topic: Contest Piece: "Rogues and Peasants"

Share/Bookmark

Contest Piece: "Rogues and Peasants"

I posted this in the general forum's related thread, but I thought I'd post here as well, where musical offerings are (at least theoretically) supposed to be posted. I didn't win, but it was fun anyway. So, for anyone interested, please review my contest submission:

Rogues&Peasants( 128k mp3)

It is the 2nd movement of my 2nd symphony that I penned a long time ago. An amateur orchestra played it. Several years ago, though, I MIDI-fied it, transcribing it for a collection of hardware samplers/sample-playback devices. And for this contest, I GPO'd it (as a way to learn GPO; I used Danielle's most excellent string tutorial). Maybe one day soon I'll be able to GPO the first and 3rd movements. I'll be happy to post them then if you can tolerate it.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Thumbs up Re: Contest Piece: "Rogues and Peasants"

Hey Rudy, cool piece! Nice ending! The whole piece is great. Boy it's great to be envious of such talented people. Nice, very nice orchestral arrangement!
    Styxx

Re: Contest Piece: "Rogues and Peasants"

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hey Rudy, cool piece! Nice ending! The whole piece is great. Boy it's great to be envious of such talented people. Nice, very nice orchestral arrangement!
    Thank you for your kind words, Styxx.
    And anyone who wishes to offer constructive criticism is welcome to do so.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Rudy, that's an incredible piece!! It's funny, the meter changes flow so naturally in an orchestral setting that you don't really notice them. I could certainly hear most of that being played by a three piece Hammond band, ala ELP and it would sound amazing We should try it!! I could do the drums on DFHS, or we could draft Styxx! (Oh wow, that's going to sound out of left feild, isn't it! You have to read another thread to get it...)

Do you have any recordings of that being played by the real orchestra? That would be interesting. I bet it was hard for them...

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Rudy, ...<edit>...
    Do you have any recordings of that being played by the real orchestra? That would be interesting. I bet it was hard for them...
    I think it was probably hard for them. I hired a mobile recording outfit to capture the event. Obviously, I don't regret any part of that experience at all, but meter thingies were a bit challenging for them...I think enough so that it may have distracted some of them (having to think too hard) and may have been a reason why the intonation wasn't as stable as it might have been. They say you need to (know and) write for your ensemble. Its possible I may have expected too much. For example, their intonation was somewhat better with the 1st movement which was, essentially, a straight-forward waltz.
    At the time that I wrote these pieces they were conceptualized in my mind as prog rock pieces for electric ensemble. I began loving the textures of real orchestras so much that I had a burning drive to convert my ideas into symphonic interpretations (I didn't realize that music school could turn a hard a_s rocker into such a weenie. ).
    Thanks for listening and for your comments, fred.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

BUMP! Just to get a li'l more attention, cuz' not much response happened when I initially posted (Well,....er,...Kevin did it, too! )

Rogues&Peasants( 128k mp3)

Rogues & Peasants is the 2nd movement of my 2nd symphony that I penned a long time ago. An amateur orchestra played it way back when, and several years ago I decided to MIDI-fied it, transcribing it for a collection of hardware samplers/sample-playback devices. But for the recent contest, I GPO'd it (as a way to learn GPO; I used Danielle's most excellent string tutorial). Maybe one day soon I'll be able to GPO the first and 3rd movements. I'll be happy to post them then if you can tolerate it.

In the meanwhile, though, the 3rd movement Save The Children is available to hear by clicking on my web site link (located just below my signature). It will take you directly to it. The version there does has some GOS lite strings mixed with Roland strings, while the rest of the orchestral instruments are a combination of Roland and Korg instruments.
    But my hope, as I said, is to GPO all 3 movements with proper GPO enabled articulations (which, of course, makes all the difference in the world. At this point, only mvt2 is the one that I can say fits that criteria).
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daag Nabbott
    But my hope, as I said, is to GPO all 3 movements with proper GPO enabled articulations (which, of course, makes all the difference in the world. At this point, only mvt2 is the one that I can say fits that criteria.
    Liked it very much. And yes, GPO has to be properly articulated as I am discovering myself.

Gerard

Go Back to forum