• Register
  • Help

Topic: Matching tuning between libraries

Share/Bookmark

Matching tuning between libraries

One thing I can't quite figure out is if I have to worry about matching tuning between different instruments I am working with. I find that the GPO instruments are consistent amongst one another, but I have combined them with other solo instruments and real or imagined, I seem to notice subtle differences in smaller (e.g. duet) type performances.

I have attached a little snippet - a strange pairing, but consider it an experiment. This duet has an oboe and a Les Paul sampled guitar. Do you notice slight out-of-tune parts? With the solo Guarn KS instrument I found the difference more pronounced.

I could be hearing things or it may be something in my setup. I ran both parts through a FFT tuner VST and both seem to come very close to being in tune. I'm curious for your thoughts.

Link: Oboe and Guitar Duet

What a great time I am having with GPO.

Re: Matching tuning between libraries

Quote Originally Posted by PlayingAround
    One thing I can't quite figure out is if I have to worry about matching tuning between different instruments I am working with. I find that the GPO instruments are consistent amongst one another, but I have combined them with other solo instruments and real or imagined, I seem to notice subtle differences in smaller (e.g. duet) type performances.

I have attached a little snippet - a strange pairing, but consider it an experiment. This duet has an oboe and a Les Paul sampled guitar. Do you notice slight out-of-tune parts? With the solo Guarn KS instrument I found the difference more pronounced.

I could be hearing things or it may be something in my setup. I ran both parts through a FFT tuner VST and both seem to come very close to being in tune. I'm curious for your thoughts.

Link: Oboe and Guitar Duet

What a great time I am having with GPO.
    PlayingAround,

I'm glad you're having a great time playingaround with GPO.

Pitch variation happens in real life many times. I will spare you the viola jokes. And sometimes it is a matter of intonation - how the note starts and settles in.

It is not surprising that sampled libraries are not always in tune with other sample libraries.

We used concert pitch in GPO, which is a universal frequency or note that instruments are set to. Standard pitch is A=440 or a frequency of 523.3 . Some European orchestras still tune to A=443 or 444.

Guitars sometimes have a harder attack and takes a moment for the twang to settle in. A sustain instrument intonates differently. What you may be hearing are initial intonation differences.

Thanks for posting.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum