• Register
  • Help

Topic: silly question about drum kit

silly question about drum kit

OK, I know this going to make me sound like an idiot, but here I go anyway ( )! I added a percussion track to a big band project that I've been working on - I like the Ross Garfield Clemente Kit. For some reason that I can't figure out, I hear both the percussion instrument and the pitch of the midi note it's assigned to. Obviously, I don't want to hear the note's actual pitch - I just want to hear the snare/kick/HH/etc. What am I doing wrong?

(I'm using Home Studio 2004 & I'm on GS3.04)

Re: silly question about drum kit

Idiot. --- No just kidding

First, are you drawing in the drums, or playing them from a controller? One possiblility is that the volume of your keyboard is on, and you're hearing a digital piano or something.

The second possiblity is that Home Studio has a synth loaded, though that's unlikely.

The third possibility is that Gigs is making the unwanted sound. Maybe you recognize if it's the Giga Piano, a trumpet or something. That should tell you the source.

Hmmm. I bet I know what it is. Your controller is probably going to Home Studio, which sends the midi commands to Giga. It's probably also going to Giga and playing the sound on port 1 channel 1. If I'm right, here's what to do:

1) Set up Giga such that Home Studio is the defined sequencer. Lauch Home Studio from Giga, or

2) Just click the little keyboard icon in the lower right corner of Giga, until it stops flashing. That turns off the direct midi inputs to Giga.

1 and 2 above do essentially the same thing. Only the buttons you click are different.

Hopefully that helps. If not... I'm an idiot.

All the best!

You are a genius! Your instructions in step 2 did the trick. Now that the external midi keyboard thingy has stopped flashing, I can hear the drums a whole lot better... lol

You saved this ole dog a lot of aggravation - many thanks from the bottom of my heart!

Excellent! Drum away!

Go Back to forum