• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: speaker/monitor use?

Share/Bookmark

Question speaker/monitor use?

Hey real quick -- what speakers or monitor/receiver combo does everyone use here? I think its about time to upgrade my studio from the speakers that came with my last computer 5 years ago!

Thanks,
    Paul Bergel
    www.pauldavidbergel.com

Re: speaker/monitor use?

Ya know, I used to use a separate amp and passive speakers up until several months ago. I decided to go active speaker and just take the signal out of the PC into a mixer to the speakers. Love it and won't go back. So simple and sounds perfect for my applications.
    Styxx

I use headphones . . . college dorm life . . . *sigh*
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Active speakers are the best- less hassle and an amp that is perfectly matched to the speaker.
    I did a LOT of monitor demoing over Christmas and of all the ones I heard my favorites were the Genelec 1031A's--- Go figure!!!

But since I can't blow $4,000 the ones that impressed me most for the money were the Mackie HR 824's.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Active speakers are the best- less hassle and an amp that is perfectly matched to the speaker.
    I did a LOT of monitor demoing over Christmas and of all the ones I heard my favorites were the Genelec 1031A's--- Go figure!!!

But since I can't blow $4,000 the ones that impressed me most for the money were the Mackie HR 824's.
    Man I hear you there bud! They are some nice monitors but one has to remember the acustics of the room you are using them in. I think Mark has Alises and we stored some Mackies.
    For my set up I decided on Behringer B2031A Truth Active Monitors which I am real happy with the sound in my room. The nicest is I never have to turn them up just to hear something. Once in a while I'll use headphones but mostly the monitors. I guess its all what works for you and you've got to be happy with what you have untill something breaks that you can move up.
    Styxx

I use KRK V8's, they're active, not passive. I just bought them recently, and I'm very impressed with them. I like them much better than Mackie and when I a/b'd them with other monitors, they were better imho. I found them on sale for around $1K for the pair.

I guess my two recycled Zenith Radio Speakers tied in to my Heathkit Amp are not up to today's standard?

Mackie 824's. They're fantastic. I upgraded from Event 20/20bas about 3 years ago, and it's one of the best investments I've made in my studio.

I use a pair of EV studio monitors that sound great.

BTW... Don't knock having to use headphones, just head on down to Sam Ash and fork out at least $50 to get some good studio quality headphones. These things will almost always have the best sound.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

If you are planning to spend upwards of $800 or so, I recommend you do a search in the NI "sample library discussion" on "monitors". There have been some recent lengthy threads on this subject with contributions by very experienced people...well worth the read.

Problem will be finding a vendor that has enough models to listen and compare, so any help you get from others can be really helpful.

Meanwhile, if anybody has anything to say about either EVENT ASP6 or ASP8 or DYNAUDIO BM5A, I too will appreciate it...these are my current candidates for replacements. I have heard the ASP6. They are terrific...but I have to go to a different store to hear the BM5...which I am just now about to do.

Ed

Go Back to forum