• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Where does music like this belong?

Share/Bookmark

Where does music like this belong?

I tried to do a News theme. But, as usual, too much going on. I keep promising to get more concise.

Even library music leaves room for a voiceover.

Does it fit anywhere?

news Theme

Re: Where does music like this belong?

I loved it, but I tend to like more "ornate" music like this.

I think if you were going to pare down, the drum fills might be a place to start, FWIW.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Hey man, my main thought is that you have enough in there for three themes

What is missing, me think, are holes, pockets of space. I'd say loose some of the sustains that go over entire bars and accentuate the quicks here and there.
    The newscasters like to talk and these breaks are helpful for them to place their marchandise. Maybe less modulations as well?

Now I will shut up

No, don't shut up. Good thoughts. And similar to those I've had from friends. I'm pretty new to this and its difficult to be concise.

ChristianB said that I have a few themes as well. And another friend said that if I am to do "news" music, that I might have to repeat some phrases.

I get the sarcasm.

That's why I ask the question. Where does this belong? There must be some use for the theme that never stops. When I was writing, I was constantly aware of keeping a theme and I think everything relates.
    But maybe not.

Could be for a documentary or intro song to a television series

Its kind of like a caricature of a news theme or a corporate video. It would work well within the context of some type of parody. Yeah, that's it! It would have worked well in the movie "Anchor Man" (well, I didn't see it, but you know what I mean) as a montage is running of newscasters in cheesy poses that are supposed to make them look heroic, or intense, or sad, or laughing, or empathetic (but it is really making fun of the self-importance of the news casters).

I hope this does not seem harsh, but that is what comes to mind when I listen to it.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I can see it in Euronews - Financial news. You know, its when you see a lot of digits on the screen and you never know what they means
    Actually its a classic news theme IMO.
    I like that xylo pattern.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I would leave it alone. It is what it is.

Actually, I would do one thing if you are serious about putting it in its best light...I would contact that internet drummer-for-hire guys and put a real drummer on it, then I'd leave it alone. Perhaps do three or four deconstructions-reductions of it, with more "air" as people have been saying (simplify thematic content, leave space) and do the 60, 30, 15, 10, stab/bumper versions, and put it on a CD. Some job will come around that will beg for it, eventually.

I don't hear the actual content as any problem. How many things did Dave Grusin do that were exactly like this in the mid-80's? A bunch. The only difference is that Dave had a bunch of first-call studio players in on the deal, so the parts got star treatment.

In broader terms, and just to respond to the idea that this is a "news" theme, this is what I find most prevalent in the market: People are, in general, looking for music these days which does not sound like commercial music. Not that they're not actually SEEKING commercial music. They just want it to fulfill the function of being a commercial track while not sounding like it. We are lucky in that the pop music style right now has many sub-genres which are groove and space oriented. They work. Glitchy stuff works great. Things with lots of classic sampler use (i.e., sampled natural sounds transformed to instruments, not deep realistic multisamples) are all over every media outlet.

But never second-guess what will sell. You will just leave money on the table. People buy music for all kinds of reasons, seemingly inexplicable. I used to throw away anything that I did which made me even think about cringing. No more. I have made more money on some of the most cringeworthy material in my catalog than on some of my favorites. What's that old cliche? There is no accounting for taste? Take it seriously. It's true.

This piece fell out. It intrinsically is. If you start pulling threads, it won't be the same thing. I believe firmly in making an idea the best it can be, leaving as is, and moving forward. If you loved it enough, it will go out and fetch you pennies and live. This piece wanted to be a manic mid-80's synth fusion piece with a dozen modulations. Let it be, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    This piece wanted to be a manic mid-80's synth fusion piece with a dozen modulations. Let it be, brother.
    Alright! I've made it up to the 80's. A year ago when I was posting supposed pop tunes at OSX Audio, I was told I sounded very 70's.

Thanks for the time spent listening and responding to those who did.

90's, here I come...

I quite loved it,Ron

Though it's true it is a bit crowded for the hosts to speak around it, it seems like you got the mood, attitude and orchestration

And it does not sound european to me... sorry... more like "This is CNN" kind of stuff rather than "Euronews" or something like that ... LOL

What is the synth arp at 0:27? Sounds great!

Go Back to forum