• Register
  • Help

Topic: Latency with GS Orch 3

Share/Bookmark

Latency with GS Orch 3

I just upgraded my hardware to accomodate GS3.0 orchestra (v3.01.1560), but I'm experiencing some extreme latency. Here's the hardware:

MB: ABIT IS-7
    Processor: P4 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 1 Gig
    Harddrive speed = 7200 (separate drive for OS & samples) - Seagate & IBM drives
    OS = XP Pro
    Sound Card = M-Audio Delta 1010LT

I suspect the latency is due to the fact that I'm using Cakewalk Pro Audio 7.0 as my sequencer, which is now quite outdated. I haven't upgraded that yet, but will soon.

When I first open cakewalk and GS, the response it fine from my keyboard, but if the programs just sit for about 10 minutes and I come back, a 1/4 second latency is then present until I re-open cakewalk. Once I close & re-open cakewalk, the response is then back 100%. I've turned off as many other processes as I see on my computer, so I don't think that's the problem.

Is this just due to the fact that my cakewalk is such an old version vs the newest version of GS3.0, or are there likely settings I'm just not getting tweaked in cakewalk?

Is Sonar likely to perform just fine, or has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks

-Patrick P.

Re: Latency with GS Orch 3

Oops ... hang on! I forgot to optimize the XP pro system as Tascam's website suggests. I think this problem is due to all the windows crap that's turned on!

-Patrick P

Also, make sure and upgrade to the most current version -- v3.04

Hi,

i have the same problem with Cubase. I am using one M-Audio Delta card also, so i suspect it is a problem with the .48a drivers.

Thanks for the suggestions ... they were things I needed to do anyway.

I actually found the answer on an old post on the cakewalk forum. Apparently, Cakewalk pro audio versions 7 & 8 did not like XP Pro since they came out under win98. Running those versions under XP pro resulted in bad latencies after just a few minutes.

I ran my cakewalk v7 from an old win98 machine (separate from my GS3.0 machine) and they problem seems to be gone.

I guess that goes to prove that you should really just upgrade sequencer and sampler with every major operating system release ... at least as major of a release as XP was.

I am glad to see that I can run GS on a separate machine ... I was worried that I had a hardware problem that was not going to let me do it!

-Patrick P

Go Back to forum