• Register
  • Help

Topic: I want to employ some GS3 folk in Australia.

Share/Bookmark

Question I want to employ some GS3 folk in Australia.

Hello.

I posted this in 'Off Topic General Discussion', but didn't get any replies. I hope I may be allowed to post here. Thank you.

I posted this a few weeks ago, but didn't get any responses. It seems that Australian GS3 owners have so much money, that they don't want anymore work! Come on. There must be some Australian GS3 folk who want to make more money.

I want to employ someone in Australia to create piano wav files (using GS3) from my midi files. The person needs to be in Australia.

Please email me with your info and I will get straight back to you. Many thanks.

Paul Copeland
    paulcopeland@internode.on.net

Re: I want to employ some GS3 folk in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul from Australia
    ... The person needs to be in Australia.

Why?

I am not interested in the job, but there is never a good reason for this kind of criteria.

B

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog
    ...there is never a good reason for this kind of criteria.
    Sometimes there is. In Canada a TV or film production is deemed to be Canadian if it has some minimum amount of Canadian workers on content involved. That translates to large tax breaks. It may not be a good artistic or collaborative reason, but it could be a good practical reason.

I don't know if OZ has a similar deal.

-JF

If location is irrelevant, I am always keen on making some extra money!

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Sometimes there is. In Canada a TV or film production is deemed to be Canadian if it has some minimum amount of Canadian workers on content involved. That translates to large tax breaks. It may not be a good artistic or collaborative reason, but it could be a good practical reason.-JF

I'm fully aware of these arrangements...Having been on the wrong side of such situations and seeing talentless guys with the right passport - in some of these instances - get the jobs and carry them out to a sadly uninspired end cannot be called a "good practical reason".
    Are we striving to see the best results or are we not?
    I am.
    What we do has a incidence on a cultural level. Ability cannot be discounted altogether for political agendas as it can, perhaps, in some other fields when results are unlikely to vary as much from candidat to candidat, as they can in music.

Happily, I just did two TV jobs for a producer who, once he heard the pitch managed to overturn such an original mandatory arrangement...we are after all not the box office pull as composers, and a film will hardly be helped by a name composer when it comes to audiences.

It is sponsored isolationism and has no root on any level other than helping talentless composers get jobs they would otherwise be beaten to. And why should they be helped if they're simply not good enough? Nice sentiment, but I think that rewarding merit is a better one.

Best.
    B

True Blue:

However, I believe, proportionaly, Canada, or Beliz have as many talents as the US. The US entertainment industry dominates the world. Who gets the job in the US is not a question of talent only, as we all know, but who do you know.Most Canadians do not know the Moguls of your industry. So, Canada's "political" decisions are not necessarely political, but attempting to provide a little playing field for Canadian talent. Unfortunately, this does not mean that only talented Canadians get jobs, there the "who do you know" also dominates. Just like in the US.

Ted

Thumbs down Re: I want to employ some GS3 folk in Australia.

I am so naive... for an instant I thought I could arrange something from outside my country, but as always it is for "Australians only".
    The strange thing is that I am Brazilian, and I never heard anything about a "Brazilian only" job around here. Very, very interesting... I´ve met a great violinist from Germany about a month ago, and he was very happy to be living in Brazil, because he never got so many jobs in his life as he did here. Do you want to hear something else? About 5 years ago, the state of São Paulo (the richest state in Brazil) invested a large amount of money to rebuild the São Paulo Symphonic Orchestra. Guess what? They fired all the musicians and replaced them with foreigners, paying very high wages. Then they built a 50 million dollars theater for their public presentations...Weird, very weird, because we have many excellent musicians right here.
    Since I am already completely OT now, let me add something about how the international labour market works for us here:
    If you are born in Brazil, you are screwed. Period. Those who can get any kind of job in a rich country are as fortunate as those who win the lottery. Sometimes it looks like you do not belong to the same race as everybody else, and I mean the human race. Oh, yeah, because the other classifications we hear about (spanish, asian, afro-american, indian) only serve for one thing: to keep us out. If you are a Brazilian you are just another spanish, even that you know that Brazil was not colonized by Spain, but by Portugal, a whole different culture. Free circulation of goods, restricted circulation of people. But wait, what about talent??? Well, for us, talent is not so important in the end. It´s much more important to be born in the right country, and carry the correct credentials. And after all that, we treat foreigners better than we treat our own citizens, and we can´t even expect the same in return. Remember the old times, when you had a visit in your house and served the food in your best plates and offered the best wine to someone you barely knew? Than was once called "good manners".
    Now, coming back to this topic, let me give you a suggestion:
    If you offer is for "Australians only" then DON´T POST IT IN AN INTERNATIONAL FORUM. That´s also "good manners".

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo
    About 5 years ago, the state of São Paulo (the richest state in Brazil) invested a large amount of money to rebuild the São Paulo Symphonic Orchestra. Guess what? They fired all the musicians and replaced them with foreigners, paying very high wages. Then they built a 50 million dollars theater for their public presentations...Weird, very weird, because we have many excellent musicians right here.
    That is just awful, and surprising - why was this done? I could perhaps understand bringing in some 'star' players in an attempt to raise the orchestra's profile interntionally, but to purposefully exclude all local musicians regardless of how skilled they may have been? That is simply strange behaviour to me, and yet I know that all this and more goes on in life.

Well, not all of them, the brother of the maestro still plays in the orchestra... and some others too, but most of them were replaced.

Go Back to forum