• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problems Adding A Second HDD: Interrupted Sounds

Share/Bookmark

Problems Adding A Second HDD: Interrupted Sounds

Hello: Having an unusual problem as I just added a second Hard Drive to add more gig files there. Someone can probably point me in the right direction.

Original Set-Up: Dell 2.6Mhz P-4, 1 gig Ram, Gigastudio 2.5, ONE 250MB Western Digital drive @ 7200rpm, 8.9ms seek time.

New Set-Up: Just added a second (same type) HDD to my system. I needed more disk space, so I added a second as a slave drive connected to same cable as the primary; cable select mode on both. My CDROM is not on this cable).

No problems with the one drive set-up; latency fine, no pops, no clicks, or data streaming problems, etc.

With the 2nd drive added, I now notice a couple of problems: a). the gig files seem to take longer to load from this new/slave drive (not a real prob), and b). Some big gig files (i.e. Vienna, for example) "break up" as I hold down keys to sustain notes. I wouldn't call it a latency problem (changed data buffer, etc)...problem still exists just from the Gig files on this second drive....which should be a better set-up, right? It's as if there's some interference or break-up of the data stream feeding the sound....the sustained notes are interrupted briefly.

Now, when I copy over or play the "same" gig file from the original (master or primary drive...which also has Gigastudio loaded) = no problems at all.

Any suggestions what might be going on here?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

HP

Re: Problems Adding A Second HDD: Interrupted Sounds

You want to add the new HD as the master on the second channel.

Channel 1 HD1(M) CD(S)
    Channel 2 HD2(M)

Thumbs up Re: Problems Adding A Second HDD: Interrupted Sounds

Thanks, Bill.

That did the trick (duh on my end)! Now I just need to find a way to connect my CD-ROM back in as you suggest...the current cable doesn't reach it.

Thx,

HP

Hi Harry, glad you got it going. I had the same exact problem with my set up, so I moved the original HD so it is laying flat behind one of the front loading drive slots, (not seen) this made it possible for the same IDE cable to reach the DVD/CD drive. Works great!

Hope that will help you out!

DPDAN

Thanks for the idea, DPDan. Hadn't thought to do this. Was hoping I could find some type of male-to-male cable to connect the two. Your idea sounds simple enough to try.

One other question: Do you "enable write caching on disk" for both of the drives, or not? One HDD had it checked and the other didn't. Just curious.

Thanks,

HP

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Poole
    Do you "enable write caching on disk" for both of the drives, or not? One HDD had it checked and the other didn't. Just curious.

Thanks,

HP
    well, I don't even know what that is, but I think maybe it has to do with the decision of whether or not you want the disc to use a cache type memory in the process of writing the files to the disc ??? Who knows,

anyone,
    Bueller?
    Bueller?

I would say no, but don't take my advice on this.
    DPDAN

Go Back to forum