• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best Midi Keyboard/Controller for GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Best Midi Keyboard/Controller for GPO?

Hey Folks,

Getting ready to purchase GPO soon, and I think this old Yamaha
    DX is not going to cut as midi keyboard controller for such a sophisticated piece of musical software.

Any recommmendations?

I have to have mod and pitch wheel, velocity sensitivity, and most likely 80+ keys (more keys for keyswitching?) ...but aside from that... not sure.

Are Semiweighted keys a good bet.? And what about having midi assignable control knobs and faders? Am I better off getting a seperate midi controller for knobs and faders...and have seperate keyboard for performance?

Your valuable input in this matter would be most appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

SJ

Re: Best Midi Keyboard/Controller for GPO?

My keyboard has what I think are the two most basic advantages of a keyboard: note velocity and the mod wheel. My keyboard doesn't have all 88 keys, but can transpose to cover them if I'm playing a lower pitched instrument.

The weightedness (is that a word?) is up to you, whatever you perform comfortably with. Some people get really used to weighted keys, and can't live without them.

I don't think you would need a separate midi controller, but I guess depends on what you want to do. I've never needed one, I've only used my mod wheel and the note velocity, and I can play GPO wonderfully from my keyboard.

Hope this helps!

Sean
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

For 88 keys and better than avergae action, the M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro is a great board. All of the sliders and buttons (which allow one to program note-on/off triggers for keyswitch programs) are splendid. And the range is great for controlling...well every instrument imaginable. And it's cheap!!

Thumbs up Re: Best Midi Keyboard/Controller for GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by dcoscina
    For 88 keys and better than avergae action, the M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro is a great board. All of the sliders and buttons (which allow one to program note-on/off triggers for keyswitch programs) are splendid. And the range is great for controlling...well every instrument imaginable. And it's cheap!!
    Every time I go over to my friends studio and play this keyboard I envy over the feel of the keys and the ease of control. I am ready to purchase one myself.
    Styxx

Question Re: Best Midi Keyboard/Controller for GPO?

Is it usefull to have polyphonic aftertouch (instead of channel aftertouch) in general - and especially for GPO? I also think about buying a new keyboard(controller), because mine had no mod-wheel. So I am thinking about buying a cheap old synth on ebay - like an ensoniq (with poly-aftertouch) as an alround-controller which also makes some noises (doing two things but uses room-space only one time ). The ensoniq could also route pedal-data to modwheel data I read somewhere, so volume in GPO could be controlled with one foot instead of the modwheel - leaving two hands for playing (...wish i could play with two hands )

Knobs and faders could be added later with some midi-cc-box, so i think they are not that important for me...

Also as an alternative I thought about spare money for an alesis photon controller - featuring this three-dimensional air-controller. So waving my hand over it, i could control volume, playing variance and brightness or something else... would also make a good controller, or?

J.B., the Ensoniq boards you're talking about are the EPS and SQ-1 I believe. Both boards transmit polyphonic aftertouch. But their action is terrible and I believe most software driven libraries like Garritans and East West don't respond to aftertouch. I have a Yamaha S30 along with my Keystation and that has aftertouch but doesn't seem to affect the sounds on my GS3 or EWQLSO or Kontakt...

I would recommend that you get a controller that has aftertouch as well as at least 8 programmable sliders. The aftertouch will be needed for the upcoming Jazz and Big Band and Solo Strad libraries.

This is also one of my big questions. I just received my copy of GPO last week along with my copy of Paul Gilreath's Midi Orchestration and Peter Alexander's course on Writing For Strings and I'm all set to get started.

I haven't installed GPO yet because I want to get an external HD to archive a fresh installation of the OS so I can reinstall without any problem a couple times a year when things start to go out of whack. In the mean time I've been reading the GPO update info and got initially confused about all the extra controllers (cc#) and didn't find out until page 17 that it was recommended that I get a keyboard controller with at least 8 sliders and better yet, 9 sliders. OH.......neither my Tyros nor my Trinity V3 have that and I'm not in a position to run out and spend a lot of money for a new board. In addition, I'm an organist and NOT a pianist and I do NOT like piano weighted keys......so what do you suggest I do in order to access those extra controllers that would be assigned to the sliders, or should I just forget about them for the time being until I learn how to use the basics and then get something and if so, what?

I know nothing about orchestration so this is going to be one interesting ride. I am fairly impressed with the Midi Orchestration book (despite the typos) and have already learned a lot from it, including how smart I was to buy GPO, since Paul seems to think it is VERY good!

Tom

Tom,

You can buy dedicated MIDI controllers that have programmable sliders, knobs and switches. Here is a couple models: Evolution UC33e and Behringer BCF2000. These are in the $200 range.

Go Back to forum