• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Have tascam given up on gigastudio or are there any developments?

Share/Bookmark

Have tascam given up on gigastudio or are there any developments?

Nothing has happened for months and months... I wondered whether Tascam had thrown in the towel, or whether there is a major upgrade of GS coming that I don\'t know about. They seem to have rested on their laurels slightly.
    Does anyone know what is going on at Tascam?

Re: Have tascam given up on gigastudio or are there any developments?

Huh, what? ... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

------------
    Alex Cremers

> is a major upgrade of GS coming

You mean other than v3.0?

No - I mean v3.0? Or whatever the next major version release is?

Not sure if Tascam has, but a lot of users have.

Seems to me that the future rests in releasing libraries in self-contained playback engines as Spectrasonics, and now Quantum Leap are doing.

Or, integrated sample playback in a sequencer as ESX or Halion.

Only speaking for myself, but I can\'t imagine spending any more time or money dealing with a stand-alone soft sampler. I guess there is a future for live playing by lugging a laptop to a gig, but even in this scenario, I\'m seeing people bringing Logic Audio on a laptop and running ESX as a live sample player.

If I were a sample developer, I would focus on a dedicated playback engine, and damn the multiple platform headache.

Bottom line about a new Gigastudio....who really cares?

Originally posted by Runyon:

Bottom line about a new Gigastudio....who really cares?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh, I certainly do. I really wish GS3 would be just around the corner and that it would include a copy protection scheme that would make it comfortable for e.g. Nick and Doug to port EWQLSO to GigaStudio. And that V3 would be able to use at least 2GB RAM. Nothing beats GigaStudio\'s streaming and efficiency - and it has 64 MIDI ch\'s - let\'s hope for 128 in V3. Much more convinient than 8-16 MIDI ch\'s VST samplers.

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    QUOTE] ...and that it would include a copy protection scheme that would make it comfortable for e.g. Nick and Doug to port EWQLSO to GigaStudio. [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Was the decision to use their own playback engine based soley on copy protection issues? I didn\'t realize that.

I thought there was more to it. I find integration to be far more useful, but maybe that\'s just me.

Plus, the constant requests for a version in this format and that format...things not translating perfectly, et al....

I can imagine it is hard to turn a profit under those conditions. Or more to the point.... Who wants their business to be dependant on some other business? Entrepeneurially, that is dangerous territory.

Seems to me that self contained playback engines would be the smartest way to go. No question that\'s what I\'d do if I were a sample developer.

I\'m really surprised that VSL didn\'t go that route.

Yes - I\'m amazed how Tascam let their lead in the market slip. I can only comment that perhaps this was the goal of Tascam all along, to buy up the soft competition and then run it into the ground... exactly what they said they would not be doing incidentally.
    I guess there are two users of samplers... those who want to create their own wierd and wonderful sounds and those of us who really don\'t care about being able to program the instruments ourselves. For the latter, I agree with you on your point of stand-alone. That is exactly what I would want. An abstraction on the instrument and the sample engine... the ideal for each sample library is that it would appear as a virtual instrument with its own instrument abstractions, rather than low-level sampler controls.
    That is the way it will go.
    Interestingly, with the advent of technbologies like www.fxteleport.com, sample library makers are afforded new and interesting opportunities. e.g. making sounds available in runtime over the internet, with farms at their end of the bargain. Long way off, but intresting idea that the sample library owner could buy a farm of machines and then distribute the sounds on a per-month/usage basis, rather than distribute on disk.
    (but, this is a long way off [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What really gives it away though, is the total absence of advertisements from Tascam above this page.

Eagerly awaiting Tascam\'s new release,

------------
    Alex Cremers

Tascam thrown in the towel? Not at all. They are currently selling/advertising the existing version. I\'ve seen full page ads in several magazines. These are not cheap. Personally I don\'t think the magical \"3.0\" is going to be a huge leap by any means. I think you\'ll find a more mature engine with Vst and/or Direct X effects compatibility. But that would be good enough for me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum