• Register
  • Help

Topic: "pumping" samples

"pumping" samples

Hello, everyone!
    I have encountered some samples with a sort of pumping sound. The sound starts off too quiet, then increases in volume. Even with a high velocity it sounds like a fortepiano and comes back up (not as extreme as a fortepiano). I find this problem in (I think) the oboe 2, the clarinet solo, most of the string solos and eanseambles (is that how you spell it?) and some other scattered few. The only solution I see at this point is manually setting mod levels to start high and come down to cancel out the pumping. This is especially annoying in fast passages. Is there any simpler way to fix this problem?
    I am relatively new to GPO, so I'm not familiar with some of the advanced features.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Orcas Island

Re: "pumping" samples

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Hello, everyone!
    I have encountered some samples with a sort of pumping sound.

The pumping is a result of our flexing technology

Make sure you have the mod wheel set right. Woodwinds particularly use the mod wheel as a continuous controller to impart dynamic and expression. So make sure the mod wheel is not all the way up and ride the mod wheel as you play sustains. Next, the sustains use the sustain pedal for legatop mode. If you want a smooth transition with no ramping attacks, try depressing the sustain pedal.

Hope this helps,

Gary Garritan

Re: "pumping" samples

Very funny, Gary.
    Thanks. I shall try the legato sustain. I didn't think of that. Good idea.

Go Back to forum