• Register
  • Help

Topic: The case of the vanishing trombone

Share/Bookmark

The case of the vanishing trombone

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to move a favorite MIDI file of Ewald's brass symphony to GPO, and there is a part in the first movement where the trombone has some sixteenth note runs, and they vanish underneath the other instruments.

Now if I switch to the AG trombone for the runs, then the runs are audible, but then there's this rather pronounced crescendo on the sustained notes. So I have to switch to the AG trombone just for the sixteenth notes (quite a deft player, this is, or would that be an AG attachment on the instrument?), and I wonder if there is an easier way to do this.

I tried upping the mod-wheel volume in the normal trombone patches, upping the attack, shortening and lengthening the notes, all to no avail...

Thanks,
    Lee
    There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
    -Bach

Re: The case of the vanishing trombone

Well, I think I may have narrowed it down some, when clicking on the trombone's GPO keyboard quickly, the notes tend to blur together, this is not the case with the trumpet, french horn and tuba, though. So maybe the tails of the non-AG trombone samples could be trimmed a little? In the meantime, I will just keep an AG trombone handy for the 16th note runs.

Also, I tried the dry samples, thinking that would not give me any tails, and still I get reverb. Am I missing something here? I checked my sound card, and it (says it) isn't generating any reverb...

Thanks,
    Lee
    There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
    -Bach

You should always use the dry samples. The ones with reverb eat up a lot of CPU. There is a "length" control knob on the Kontakt player. If it's set to too high of a value, that could begin to sound like reverb. Move that value down.

Make sure your notes aren't overlapping midi wise. Make sure the legato mode isn't activated. Checking these things should help the blurring.

If the trombones are still getting lost in your mix, use the volume knob on the Kontakt player to boost them a few db's.

Hope that helps,
    Jeff

Thanks, Jeff, I didn't see those length knobs, but even at length zero, and all the MIDI notes quite short, and no legato mode, the runs are still inaudible. Putting the volume at 127 does bring out the 16th notes to the point where they are somewhat audible, though, with two trombone overlays and a bass trombone 2 solo.

I noticed something else, though!

When I click quickly on a trombone (tenor trombone solo, trombone overlay, bass trombone 2 solo) note on the GPO keyboard, I get two notes! If I click a note four times quickly, I get two extras, especially on some notes such as the F above middle C. Also, if I click it extremely quickly on the tenor trombone solo, I don't hear much of a note at all, in contrast to (say) the solo trumpet, which sounds audibly, even when I click quickly, with no echo.

So maybe the note has a relatively long attack slope on the tenor solo trombone? And an echo tail, instead of a reverb one, on this and some of the other non-AG trombones.

But lest I seem to be just complaining! The solo trumpet is sweet...

Regards,
    Lee
    -Bach

I found the problem! It was my sound card, I removed my Audigy sound card, and put in an M-Audio 2496 card, and now the solo trombone appears! And sounds notes and doesn't echo extra ones if I press notes quickly. Rather unexpected, but that was apparently the problem.

I guess I should have recorded to a wave file, and then played the wave file, that would probably have showed me that the sound card was the problem. Glad the GPO instruments are sound, though! Good sound, so to speak...

Regards,
    Lee
    -Bach

Go Back to forum