• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Solo-Violin w/orchestra "Andante"

Share/Bookmark

Solo-Violin w/orchestra "Andante"

Hi everyone, hi Garry,

this is my "first" piece with GPO. After weeks of struggling with making it work and sound close to what I am looking for, here is the result:

"Andante" - first movement of a symphony.

Andante.mp3

I appreciate any comments or suggestions. So far, I love the sounds of the GPO and the forum is a great place to support each other and finding answers to a lot of my questions.

Thomas

Re: Solo-Violin w/orchestra "Andante"

That's really remarkable writing, Son! You have a creative soul.

The only criticism is the fact that your first few measures had some "fluff", "fluff", "fluff", synthy-sounding attacks that detract from the realism of the rest of your piece.

You might also tone down the screechiness of the solo violin in the upper register just a tad.

This is nice and I enjoyed it.

Regards,

Larry A.

Superb! This is the real thing alright. Very well orchestrated, and the violin solos are gorgeous. (Which violin did you use, the Guarneri?) Good variety of dynamics and textures, and an excellent ending. One small thing, there seemed to be a rather abrupt change in loudness at the flute entrance at :15. Look forward to hearing the rest of this!

Very nice, Thomas. I enjoyed it. Nice orchestration and some sweet and meaty parts for the soloist.

Very romantic in nature... meaning 19th century. Many romantic composers would have perhaps given a different name to this sort of piece, perhaps

"Caprice for Violin and Orchestra"

Another option could be

"Romance for Violin and Orchestra"

I am very fond of the Romance for violin and orchestra by Antonin Dvorak. You ought to listen to it if you are not already familiar with the piece.

Just my 2 cents.

David

Thanks Larry,

I am trying to get rid off the screechiness in the solo violin in the upper registers. I am wondering if that possible through the variuos settings in GPO or do I have to use my sequencer program ?

Regards,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by danveach
    Superb! This is the real thing alright. Very well orchestrated, and the violin solos are gorgeous. (Which violin did you use, the Guarneri?) Good variety of dynamics and textures, and an excellent ending. One small thing, there seemed to be a rather abrupt change in loudness at the flute entrance at :15. Look forward to hearing the rest of this!
    Thanks for your comments it means a lot to me, because I am at the start of producing music electronically after having been performing musician all my life. Yes, I used the Guaneri Solo Violin - it seemed to have the most body and bow sound in it in my opinion. The abrupt loudness changes seem to originate from tthe master mix in my sequencer program - need to change that.

Thanks.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic
    Very nice, Thomas. I enjoyed it. Nice orchestration and some sweet and meaty parts for the soloist.

Very romantic in nature... meaning 19th century. Many romantic composers would have perhaps given a different name to this sort of piece, perhaps

"Caprice for Violin and Orchestra"

Another option could be

"Romance for Violin and Orchestra"

I am very fond of the Romance for violin and orchestra by Antonin Dvorak. You ought to listen to it if you are not already familiar with the piece.

Just my 2 cents.

David
    Hi David,

as a matter of fact it does have a title "Sinfonietta D' Amalfi". I just used the Andante as work in progress title. I appreciate your nice comments and I am very fond of Dvorak as well, and of course Tschaikowsky.

Ciao,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jazzlupo
    I am trying to get rid off the screechiness in the solo violin in the upper registers. Regards,Thomas
    Jazz, use an EQ on the instruments that are too shrill, set the bandwith reasonably small and set the frequency to around 3Khz.
    Be careful not to cut too much, a little goes a long way!

I too like your writing!

DPDAN

Should I call you Jazz or Lupo?

The composition is splendid. My comments would be more critical of the mix since it doesn't seem to be cohesive. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with others comments here. Its like the instruments are in different environments all together. The basses are a lot more verby than, say the solo violin, which has a much drier setting. This works in some cases, but I don't think it fits this particular piece well. But this is a personal thing and I'm listening thru headphones, so I could be way off. I don't have any particular problem with the higher register notes on the violin myself. I call it 'character.'

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Jazz, use an EQ on the instruments that are too shrill, set the bandwith reasonably small and set the frequency to around 3Khz.
    Be careful not to cut too much, a little goes a long way!

I too like your writing!

DPDAN
    I'll play around with the EQ. Thanks.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast