• Register
  • Help

Topic: Interesting article

The Hurricane place

Interesting article

Unfortunately I did not bookmark the link, however I remember most of it.

The article contained recent studies over a many years detailing intelligence and why some appear to have more abilities then others and why children have an accelerated learning rate. According to this article it is all a myth. They based this off taking what society considers "normal" individuals and studied them. Then they came up with some answers that explain why these individuals did not develop an intellect that was much higher. In essence it boiled down to a few things.
    One, the average adult human eventually goes into a state they refered to as "safe". They do the same things day in and day out. They do not challenge the mind. They get used to what they "are" good at and leave it at that. There is no challenge in staying in your safe spot. (as a musical example take scales, pretty soon you will be so good at them your mind will sorta wander and thus the learning has stopped, and the stagnation begins). They claim that if you do not constantly challenge your mind with new things(they advise preferably things you do not normally do), it will go into that stagnation state and thus your left at mediocre or "safe spot" as they call it once again. This they say is one of the reasons that creativity can dwindle or stay at a stalemate, we get used to that "safe spot" and never leave it. Those who constantly challenge the mind are always learning.
    The second thing they found was related to the individuals upbringing and society/belief systems. These people honestly believed they were average and have been told so ,thus it was so. It was stated that the relevence of IQ tests are skeptical at best, but these people believed so much that what was told them is who they are.

Now, in this study, they took the same people and had them constantly challenge their minds for two years with various excersises, carefull not to do to much of one as it will become to easy eventually and the stagnation will set in. Within these two years these "average" people increased creativity and intelligence anywhere from 90% to 100%. They say these individuals are still currently expanding their minds.

The excersises they suggest as I can remember them are as follows. Learn something your not familiar with(calculus, or anything you never do). Create mental excersises. One that was stated is harder then it sounds. Count to ten in your mind as fast as you can. Sure it's easy and goes fast. Now do the same but picture each number by its shape and put a color to it and see how fast it goes. Not as fast as just simply counting down now is it?
    The essentials boil down to one thing, you cannot let the mind go into a state of "safe". You must continously challenge it with input. The more you do the easier things become, the less you do the more the mind turns over to auto pilot. Like playing scales, once your good at them the mind will go on auto. Whats the sense in keeping it up? According to them once a goal like that is obtained, you need to move on. The learning must never stop, even if it has nothing to do with music. The study showed that the most successfull people in their fields were the ones whose minds were constantly seeking input, new things even if its completely unrelated to what they are known for. I think the end quote was "be like a child". It makes sense in that a childs mind never stops looking for input. It studies everything. Hence what we percieve as accelerated growth in children is nothing more then an extreme curiosity and need to learn. Adults do not do this(most).

Anyway the articles main basis was on proving that learning never stops nor is one's intelect limited as these are simply base assumptions as they found out. Constant input, regardless of topic, is the key to keeping the mind growing.

Hope this is helpfull to all or inspiring in anyway. I thought I would share this.

Wilton, NH

Re: Interesting article

Thanks for sharing. If you come across the article again put up a link.
    Trent P. McDonald

West Seneca, NY

Some people find themselves in this state of "safe" with no other choice due to conditions there of within their lives. I have found that most of these studies are singular in nature and rarely ever hold solid ground for the general populous. In other words, too many variables with so many people involved.
    However, I do agree on the point that stagnation may be caused by the lack of challenge in ones life. There is a lot to be said about “Variety is the spice of life!”
    I myself would love to change my present day position to something challenging. I don't feel "safe" just stagnant!

The mind is like a muscle...if you don't exercise it, it will atrophy. I also saw a study awhile back that looked at people who had advanced professional careers that required a lot of mental agility (lawyers, doctors, etc) and the degree of mental agility that these people lost once they retired and stopped challenging themselves mentally. The study also looked at some octagenarians who still kept abreast in their field of study and compared the mental agility to the group of mental couch potatoes and noted a significant difference. The next step was to study these groups versus individuals that never worked in a field that required a great deal of mental agility, but I don't know what those results were.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a very interesting article!

However, the notion that children have an accelerated learning rate is scientific fact. Eh, perhaps this isn't the same accelerated learning rate the article was talking about, but I did a project in school last year on neural networks in the brain. Scientists have found that when you are young, the neural networks grow much faster (and they'd better, or you would not be able to get out of the baby stage ). This is why it is easier to learn to play an instrument, learn to read and talk, or learn multiple language while you're still a child. If you wait until you get older, you can still do it, but it will be harder since your neural networks don't grow as fast.

Thanks for sharing article, it is an encouragement to keep my mind challenged! Luckily, I can't even play all the scales well yet
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum