• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quartett for 3 Horns and Tuba

Share/Bookmark

Quartett for 3 Horns and Tuba

Hello,

I'm new here and this is my first own composition.
    20 Years ago i played in a brass band. We where not only playing typical brass band stuff, but also arrangments of classical and big band stuff. After this time i played e-bass in a punk-gothic band and a bit later i started with synthesizers. I was always loving orchestral music, but found no way to perform and compose this kind of music with the affordable gear in the 90'ies.

I am now very happy with garritan personal orchestra. Many thanks to garritan and his stuff !

Here i want to present my first work. Since i played the french horn and tuba in my early days, i started with a small ensemble of 3 horns and tuba. (Solo Horn 2, French Horn 1-plr 1 and plr2, Solo Tuba 1). I've done the composition with overture se and painted the modulation and velocity in the graphical editor. I used GPO studio for rehearsal while composing. For the final mix i exported a MIDI File and imported this into Sonar 3.

It's really great and easy to use a Notation Software with GPO Studio. And all out of the box without installation or configuration trouble ! Superb !

And here is the first Movement of this Quartet: Quartett_No_1_mov_1.mp3

This is the Score: Quartett_No_1_Mov_1_score.pdf

I hope will enjoy it a little bit.

I have read the articles in this forum since 2 Months and i found this a very nice place to stay. And not least it were YOUR Demos, which made me to buy GPO.
    Last edited by VolkerDietz; 02-02-2005 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Link to Score was wrong

Re: Quartett for 3 Horns and Tuba

Hello and welcome to the forum. I've had a quick listen (actually, since it is so short, I listened a few times). It's very ince. In places it sounds very Medieval or Renaissance. Not a bad thing. Look forward to hearing more.
    Trent P. McDonald

I think that you linked the "pdf" to an MP3 file. I do not get a pdf file of your score when I click on it.

David

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic
    I think that you linked the "pdf" to an MP3 file. I do not get a pdf file of your score when I click on it.

David
    I'm sorry for the Mistake. This is the correct link to the score:

http://www.sonicgarden.de/Quartett_No_1_Mov_1_score.pdf

Thank you for the tip.

Volker

Nice piece, but I have noticed something that GPO will let you get away with. I notice that you have written the Horn parts untransposed, which is okay. The problem is that some of the notes you have written in the first horn part would be difficult to execute because they are at the top of the standard range of the horn. I notice one high b (e concert pitch) written ppp which is probably impossible to play. Don't think I am ragging on you because I mad the same mistake once or twice with the horns. I didn't notice one time that I needed to lower an octave until the horns overpowered an entire chamber orchestra in a performance of a piece I composed.

That is the only drawback to GPO or any sampled instrument is that it can do things that are not possible. It would help you a lot (it helps me) to write the horn parts transposed so that the range is easier to visualize.

Please don't let my comments discourage you, as I am just trying to help. I did notice that you have written good contapunal lines when the piece gets cooking. Very, very good first attempt.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    The problem is that some of the notes you have written in the first horn part would be difficult to execute because they are at the top of the standard range of the horn. I notice one high b (e concert pitch) written ppp which is probably impossible to play.
    Thank you for the advice. I tranposed the score and can now see, that the first and sone times the second horn are written very high. I will try out tranposing the critical measures one octave down or even modulate to another key (is this the right word in english ? i intended something like going to d-moll instead of a-moll for example ).

That is the only drawback to GPO or any sampled instrument is that it can do things that are not possible. It would help you a lot (it helps me) to write the horn parts transposed so that the range is easier to visualize.
    I will do so. In Overture SE it's easy to switch between transposed and untransposed view. (as i found out half an hour ago)

Please don't let my comments discourage you, as I am just trying to help. I did notice that you have written good contapunal lines when the piece gets cooking. Very, very good first attempt.
    Thank you for helping and encouraging me. I hope, i will start with the composition of the II. and III. Movements in the next days. After that i will rework this one.

Volker

Go Back to forum