• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO used in "Spellbound" the Musical mock-up - MP3 Excerpt

Share/Bookmark

GPO used in "Spellbound" the Musical mock-up - MP3 Excerpt

Paul Deakin and Christian De Gré wrote to me about an exciting musical they did called "Spellbound". The musical opened in Grand Cayman on 17 March 2004. Although it only ran for 4 nights, it received great reviews in the press and on the radio and TV. The story follows a young town girl in 1416 who journeys across the lands of Dragnor to learn the ways of becoming a Grand Wizard and rescue her Aunt and Uncle from the clutches of evil.

Here is one of the songs from the show "Just a Girl" (using GPO)

Although a 24-piece orchestra played live on each night, GPO is being used to develop and fine tune the score and "hear our music in a realistic way, before live orchestras play it" as Paul and Christian write. "We recently discovered your amazing GPO! As writers of musical theatre, this software is going to be absolutely essential in the creation of our new material. As a start, here is a song from our first show (Spellbound). The composers are Paul Deakin and Christian De Gré. GPO's sound library was used for all instruments. GPO users Neo and Seph were the ones who did the GPO mock up. I think they did great work in only a couple of hours...." They further write: "It is software that we have both wanted for many years. Thank you so much for creating the answer to one of our dreams!" Paul Deakin and Christian De Gré"

I am very glad that GPO is being used for mock-ups before commiting to the real orchestra. This is an excellent use of GPO since helps the composer with the sketching the musical landscape for the show.

Thank you Paul and Christian for sharing your experience and your music!

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO used in "Spellbound" the Musical mock-up - MP3 Excerpt

Wow! Sounds great - nicely done, guys!

bump

Well done! Pity it only ran for four nights. Sounds great with GPO!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Paul and Christian sent in another song from the show, again, done in GPO.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/pd-fragile.mp3

Enjoy!

Gary Garritan

Thanks all for your comments, and thanks Gary for posting this. I only just saw it today My copy of GPO finally arrived the other day and it has been a very exciting few days. Neo and Seph were the people who did the original GPO mock-ups you hear here. I then mixed down the vox with those tracks. I am very grateful to Neo and Seph for spending the time to demonstrate GPO to us in this way while I waited for my own copy of GPO to arrive! Now that I have it, I will do GPO versions of all the songs from "Spellbound" and post them on the midi/demos page.

Christian and I would like to thank all those who have commented on our work so far and look forward to sharing more with you soon. GPO is an absolutely amazing piece of software - and we have only just begin to touch the surface of what it can do.

Best wishes,

Paul and Christian (aka Kinvint)
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Paul and Christian,

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few people here involved with musical theatre - Steve Goers, David Maddux, Styxx, FrankS - to name a few. You're in great company and I think you are going to like it here.

I am looking forward to hearing more songs from "Spellbound".

Thanks for being a part of this community and sharing your music with us.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum