• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Topic: GPO Piano Update?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    GPO Piano Update?

    Does anyone know whether or not we will ever see an updated
    Garritan Steinway? I love the sound of the piano, but it would
    be nice to have one with more velocity layers, etc.

    Ron Sarja

  2. #2

    Re: GPO Piano Update?

    Interesting question, and one I don't think anyone has brought up so far. I haven't heard anything. The piano is rather large for RAM loading already, but there could be something coming for it in the Advance upgrade.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: GPO Piano Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    The piano is rather large for RAM loading already,
    I believe the piano used was a nine foot grand. Cut it down to an apartment grand and you'll have room to update.
    Styxx

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    4,045

    Re: GPO Piano Update?

    Not sure if Gary plans on updating the piano. The piano market is a very competitive market. There has been some great group buys on this forum for other pianos although you will need the full Kontakt or other softsampler for them.

  5. #5

    Re: GPO Piano Update?

    The piano is really quite nice as it is, IMO. As a totally solo instrument it might not quite stand up to some other pianos out there but it's perfect in an orchestra setting (which is what it's for) and I've had great success with it in pop settings as well. In mixes it often beats the PMI Old Lady, which is another fav of mine. If you're looking for lots of layers and subtlety at soft volumes I highly recommend it.
    But, IMO the GPO Steinway is almost worth buying GPO just to get if you had no interest in the rest of the orchestra

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Orcas Island
    Posts
    11,454

    Re: GPO Piano Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsarja
    Does anyone know whether or not we will ever see an updated
    Garritan Steinway? I love the sound of the piano, but it would
    be nice to have one with more velocity layers, etc.

    Ron Sarja
    Ron,

    That's a possibility. there are so many paino libraries, and excellent ones by Michiel, Hans, Franky, Worra and others. I won't rule it out and if there is interest we may pursue such a project.

    Gary Garritan

  7. #7

    Thumbs up Re: GPO Piano Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Ron,

    That's a possibility. there are so many paino libraries, and excellent ones by Michiel, Hans, Franky, Worra and others. I won't rule it out and if there is interest we may pursue such a project.

    Gary Garritan
    Wouldn't be great to hear from the Fabulous Gary Garritan's Steinway Grand, with Ground Braking Sonic Morphing Technology?

    Anton

  8. #8

    Re: GPO Piano Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by galvedro
    Wouldn't be great to hear from the Fabulous Gary Garritan's Steinway Grand, with Ground Braking Sonic Morphing Technology?
    Doubtful a piano could benefit from Morphing. The physics of multiple strings resonating in tandem would make it hard (if not impossible) to line up the cycles, for one. No portamento needed, and no change in timbre once the note is hit (i.e. it decays in just one direction: never gets loud again!) means that multi-sampling is the right solution for the job.

    It's just a different beast than "monophonic" strings and winds. Heck, I don't even know if a double-reed instrument adds a wrinkle to the morphing analysis: quite possible!

    Then again, one might wonder about the potential of morphing between two different makes of pianos: what if a Steinway and a Bosendorfer had a baby?

    - m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

  9. #9

    Re: GPO Piano Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    Doubtful a piano could benefit from Morphing. The physics of multiple strings resonating in tandem would make it hard (if not impossible) to line up the cycles, for one. No portamento needed, and no change in timbre once the note is hit (i.e. it decays in just one direction: never gets loud again!) means that multi-sampling is the right solution for the job.
    Well, actually I was just joking, but now you raise the topic (or it was me )... I'm not an expert in this matter, of course, but wouldn't be useful to apply sonic morphing techniques to increase the effective velocity resolution for sound sources like a piano, ie by morphing between different discrete velocity layers instead of crossfading? This could help decrease audible effects at layer edges.

    Anton

  10. #10

    Re: GPO Piano Update?

    Quote Originally Posted by galvedro
    Well, actually I was just joking, but now you raise the topic (or it was me )... I'm not an expert in this matter, of course, but wouldn't be useful to apply sonic morphing techniques to increase the effective velocity resolution for sound sources like a piano, ie by morphing between different discrete velocity layers instead of crossfading? This could help decrease audible effects at layer edges.
    I think almost all piano libraries use velocity-switching (thresholded) instead of crossfading. But it's certainly possible to an extent. One issue, however, is that I believe these morphing techniques are mostly applicable to relatively constant periodic waves, whereas the decay of a piano strike would make it less useful between samples.

    But here's a concept: I suppose if the piano library in question uses looped regions, then what you might do is find loop zones at 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 seconds (etc) to get "sound profile slices" across time, and then use sonic morphing to smoothly transition between them. Could save a lot of disk space for a compact library! (at the cost of CPU to make the calculations on the fly, however).

    - m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •