• Register
  • Help

Topic: Windows limit on MIDI devices

Share/Bookmark

Windows limit on MIDI devices

Windows limits you to 10 MIDI devices. If you try to install an 11th device, it may appear to install but then quietly not work. What is worse is that if you move a USB MIDI device to another USB port, it counts as a new device toward the 10-entry limit.

You can read about the problem here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/english/faq/10entrye.htm

I was trying to install a USB MIDI driver unrelated to GPO and hit the limit. I followed the procedure on the URL given above and it worked--but GPO stopped working.

So I had to reinstall GPO. In doing so, I learned two things that are worth remembering:

1) Although GPO says that you should install from an account with administrative privileges, it doesn't say that that should be the same account from which you intend to use it. In other words, don't just log in as Administrator and install it there, because you won't be able to use it from your own account afterwardsd. Instead, log in as Administrator, give yourself admin privileges, then log in as yourself for the install.

2) If you ignore (1), as I did the first time, and then try to authorize the Kontakt player, you will get a different System ID than you did previously. Nevertheless, the authorization code that you got for the previous install will still work. You did save it, didn't you? I don't know why it worked, but it did.

3) Nevertheless, I think the right thing to do is to install from the account on which you're going to use it, and for that account to have admin privileges during the install.

I hope a future version of Windows fixes the MIDI driver limitation.

Re: Windows limit on MIDI devices

What Windows Version are you using? Win95 I guess. Running Win98SE should solve that... I have 14 Midiports and all is fine : )

Ups. My fault... should have looked at your link. You are running some of the 'newer' versions... But anyway, good ol' Win98 does the trick (for me)

and after reading that... the bluescreens of Win98 will bother me no more that much

Quote Originally Posted by J.B
    What Windows Version are you using? Win95 I guess. Running Win98SE should solve that... I have 14 Midiports and all is fine : )

Ups. My fault... should have looked at your link. You are running some of the 'newer' versions... But anyway, good ol' Win98 does the trick (for me)

and after reading that... the bluescreens of Win98 will bother me no more that much
    I still run Win98SE. I've been playing with PCs and Macs since '86...been a sys admin in the early 90's for SFSU's JDept before I got into the game audio industry. You've heard the expression "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?. Yup, that's me. GPO works very well for me, even with way more than 10 MIDIports. Vegas 4 works wonderfully for me. What else could a guy want? XP is great for groups...98SE works well for individuals. I have 3 machines on my network. All are 98SE. Soon I may upgrade one to XP. But my audio workhorse machine will remain 98SE for the time being.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Quote Originally Posted by J.B
    I'm using Windows XP Professional.

The main point is that it is possible to trash your GPO installation by doing something that would appear on the surface to have nothing to do with GPO.

Go Back to forum