• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: best audio interface in terms of latency?

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: best audio interface in terms of latency?

Hi,

I was wondering if there's any audio card that is really the best when it comes to latency when using heavy plugins like EWQLSO, etc. Or do all A-brand cards that use ASIO 2.0 drivers perform pretty much the same latency-wise?

I currently use a Terratec EWS88MT with Cubase SX2.

Thanks,

Roy

Re: OT: best audio interface in terms of latency?

Digidesign HD hardware has a latency of about 1 millisecond (I tested this myself) on software instruments, which I don't think any other hardware will beat.

In the same tests, an RME Hammerfall card gave a latency of around 4 milliseconds (millisecond = 1/1000 second) with the buffer settings at their minimum. Of course, you can't always get reliable performance with minimum buffer settings. Doubling the buffer only increased latency a millisecond or two.

I didn't test any other interfaces.

- Mike Greene

Using Sonar 4 and an M-Audio Audiophile Delta 24/96 PCI card I get 1 millisecond latency if I want. Normally I keep it as 8 milliseconds to ease up on my CPU though.

I was going to say, that's only for TDM instruments (meaning Access Virus and I don't think anything else).

Hi Roy,

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarin Man
    Or do all A-brand cards that use ASIO 2.0 drivers perform pretty much the same latency-wise?
    No, they don't. There are 2 things that come into play here. 1st there is the hardware itself. 2nd is the actual driver. Some cards are pretty good but have poorly written drivers. Such drivers can cause crashes or poor performance.

I'll add another vote for a RME card. They write stable drivers for the PC and can achieve low latency.

HTH,
    FV

Obviously, latency has to do with alot of factors, not only the soundcard.

But that aside, one low-price system that impressed me alot is EMU's 1212 and 1820 models. Some of my friends has those and get really low latency out of them on machines that is not even last years models. One guy is using a 2.4 ghz PC and he is getting 3 ms latency @ 44/16. That great.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Echo products also tend to have very good latency performance, and very mature drivers.

But did they pass their vision test at the DMV?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Ba-dump Bump...CHING!!!

ASUS a7n266 with onboard nvidia chipset: 2ms delay, people only believe when they see it, to good to be true. Fortunately I have one in my studio, along with my Delta 10/10 and audiomedia III. Guess wich one I use when I need real low latency ?

Go Back to forum