• Register
  • Help

Topic: which ambience

Share/Bookmark

which ambience

i am using sonar 4. I see several options for reverb: vst>garritan Ambience, cakewalk FX Reverb, WavesReverb. How are they different? Which do most of you use and why?
    Also I have found that using the reverb sometime seems to muddy the piano sound so i often use it dry. Do you use different reverb with different tracks?
    are there any tutorials on the use of reverb?
    jgyoungmd

Re: which ambience

Quote Originally Posted by jgyoungmd
    i am using sonar 4. I see several options for reverb: vst>garritan Ambience, cakewalk FX Reverb, WavesReverb. How are they different? Which do most of you use and why?
    Also I have found that using the reverb sometime seems to muddy the piano sound so i often use it dry. Do you use different reverb with different tracks?
    are there any tutorials on the use of reverb?
    Well, the reverb can easily muddy the piano sound. As to which reverb to use? Almost impossible to say. Experiment is the best teacher. If you don't find a preset that suits you, find one that comes close, modify it to suit yourself, and save it under a new name. My current favorite for piano is my own preset in FXreverb. But for pipe organ, I use Garritan Ambience, church preset, but not always. I favor FXreverb because it is easier on the cpu.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, the reverb can easily muddy the piano sound. As to which reverb to use? Almost impossible to say. Experiment is the best teacher. If you don't find a preset that suits you, find one that comes close, modify it to suit yourself, and save it under a new name. My current favorite for piano is my own preset in FXreverb. But for pipe organ, I use Garritan Ambience, church preset, but not always. I favor FXreverb because it is easier on the cpu.

Richard
    thanks, do you use different settings for different instruments for the same piece? for the piano fxreverb which setting do you like best? Do you use it full on or some percentage of dry?
    jgyoungmd

Personally I use Sonar's Cakewalk FXReverb for everything, not just because it is easiest on the CPU (though that certainly is a bonus), but because it sounds the most natural and open. Other reverbs colour or blur your music too much, FXReverb doesn't.

By choosing different presets or making your own you can easily adapt the room size, etc. to your piece.

Terry Dwyer

Go Back to forum