• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and Encore

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Encore

I haven't plumped yet. The question is, will GPO work with Encore notation programme and its sister sequencer Master Tracks Pro. I'm too old to learn new composing software.

Re: GPO and Encore

Encore (the predecessor to Overture, right?), should work fine with GPO as long as it either allows you to host VSTi's or allows you select midi channel output so that you can route midi out to GPO Studio. Can you edit midi controllers from within Encore or Master Tracks. I can check into the programs to give you a definite answers.

Thanks for your reply. You can export midi files from Encore and perform limited edits. Master Tracks Pro offers finer editing. Neither host VST plug-ins, but that does not matter if the studio programme does the job. I was keen to check as Garritan advises, since once shipped the sale is finite. I don't think Encore and Overture are cousins. Encore was taken over by GVOX when Passport went bust. Overture, I think, is Cakewalk related and is marketed by Geniesoft. GPO seems like the answer to prayer. I need to buy in some extra RAM, but will definitely go for it, although initially I do not expect to use it except for small chamber ensembe scoring.

Well, if you plan on using Studio, just make sure that you can change you midi output in Master Tracks to whatever you want since this is crucial to using the program. You have to be able to send the midi data from Master Tracks to GPO Studio using one of the 8 virtual midi ports installed with Studio. Most sequencing programs have this function, but I would make sure before ordering if you aren't keen on trying to learn how to use another program. But, if all else fails, GPO ships with a sequencer that can host the VSTi's but this would require you to learn its intricacies.

Quote Originally Posted by dermod
    I don't think Encore and Overture are cousins. Encore was taken over by GVOX when Passport went bust. Overture, I think, is Cakewalk related and is marketed by Geniesoft. GPO seems like the answer to prayer.
    Encore and Overture are indeed more than cousins! They are closer to brothers, each having the same "father." I won't go through the long history from Passport to GenieSoft via Cakewalk, but it's there!!

As to GPO and Overture, they work well together via GPO studio. So will Encore--I have the demo of Encore for Windows 4.5.5 and GPO Studio shows as a possible MIDI out.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

I defer to Jim's bettter knowledge. And more important for any other non Overture user, I have now installed Garritan and played through a test transcription of a Paganini sonata that I had put into Encore. I am stunned by the beauty of the results. Also there were no configuration problems at all. On the midi-set up window in Encore, garritan simply appeared as an output option. Many thanks for all the preceding advice.

Go Back to forum