• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some basic questions for an experienced person

Share/Bookmark

Some basic questions for an experienced person

I currently run Sonar 2.2 on my PC and am wanting to purchase giga 160 and the GOS advanced version to use in conjunction with Sonar. My question is this: can I still use Sonar as my main sequencer while using Maestro tools? Do the two work together well or is it complicated. Is it common to use these programs together? Any other recommendations?

Re: Some basic questions for an experienced person

Sonar and Maestro definitely work together. MT is sequencer independent, and works with live keyboard playing as well.

Do you plan to run the sequencer and the Giga on the same PC? You can do it, but it may run out of steam for large works.

Well, I would like to run it all off of one machine for financial reasons, but I would consider purchasing a seperate system for giga if it would improve performance. Any advice on setup and integration of these two systems? IS MidioverLan a good solution for the MIDI end of things?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by rwdelling:
    Well, I would like to run it all off of one machine for financial reasons, but I would consider purchasing a seperate system for giga if it would improve performance. Any advice on setup and integration of these two systems? IS MidioverLan a good solution for the MIDI end of things?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, but buy two machines!! You\'ll be glad you did. You\'ll have the best Giga performance, plus you can also run synths and even another instance of Giga on the DAW machine for overflow. Be sure to network the machines, that\'s where the power comes.

If you plan to do digital rendering in Giga on a separate machine, and then import those files into the DAW machine...make sure your audio interface has some means of slaving clock, either via word clock i/o, SPDIF, ADAT lightpipe, or other means. Otherwise, the clock differences between the two machines will result in bad time alignment. This isn\'t an issue if you\'re recording Giga via digital/analog inputs into another computer (in the case of analog, the clocks don\'t need sync, and in the case of digital, they\'ll necessarily be synced. This is a good idea for any multiple machine studio, not just Giga.

My previous post deleted since I just saw you\'re planning on using your system for Orchestral samples.

I\'m a one computer Seq/Giga user (and it mostly works)but when I compose for orchestra that\'s when I see the system choke.

(Oddly enough it mostly crashes because of Cakewalk 9 and not Giga.)

You say that you have few problems while running Sonar and Giga 160 on the same machine? What are your machine specs? Do you do any large orchestral writing?

Gary, I was afraid I\'d get that answer. I honestly don\'t know what to believe anymore. I\'ve contacted Cakewalk, Giga and Soundchaser (when they were still around) and pretty much get the same vague answers \"Just re-install 98\" or \"Upgrade to Sonar\" or \"Re-install Cakewalk\" etc. Paraphrased \"I don\'t know what the problem is but here\'s an easy answer.\"

I\'ve been through the \'upgrade will solve it\' and \'just -reinstall...\' solution many times and have yet to come out fully successful. The bottom line is I\'m able to get my work done until I make the jump to a two computer system.

And, I should add, that I don\'t doubt Sonar as a sequencer but until I hear from enough single computer users that 98SE + Sonar + Gigastudio is stable then I\'ll just put up with Cake 9. It would suck to upgrade and experience the same stuff (when I don\'t even really need Sonar).

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I should add, further, that I even went with Soundchaser because I thought a music/giga computerbuilder would solve all my software conflicts and get me a super stable one machine solution.

But, it\'s iffy giffy. I don\'t doubt my Soundchaser computer will be around awhile. But I think it will exhibit it\'s true stability once I make it just my Giga machine and sequence from a different computer entirely in the future.

Hey Marty, get rid of Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and move up to Sonar! When I was using Pro Audio 9 and GigaStudio 160 on the same computer, I had nothing but problems. Now, using Cakewalk Sonar, the problems are very few if any. Just my opinion......... Gary [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum