• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Piece (kind of experimental for me)

Share/Bookmark

New Piece (kind of an experiment for me)

This is the last composition that I did for the student film that I'm working on as a favor to a friend. It portrays a robot and a human fighting over a gun (I know its a LITTLE dumb) But whatever. Check it out if you'd like It's the last piece labeled as "the brawl". As usual comments are always sweeeeeeet !

http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.aspx?artistid=7084

Re: New Piece (kind of experimental for me)

Not bad kid!! If you keep on improving at this rate you'll be kicking all our butts soon.

I'd like to hear where you would take it from where you left off. I'd like to hear how you vary and idea.

You're initial impulses are always pretty good. Your ability to vary a motive is a little lacking which makes you sound a little inexperienced.

Check out books by Messian and a book by Schoeberg on composition techniques. Pay special attention to sections on motivic variations. Ask yourself questions like,"What is a motive?" and "In how many ways can they be varied?". Once you got a good phrase going then start introducing variations.

Like in your piece you have those low brass accents. What other ways can you vary it? 1-2-3 then 2-3-1 then 3211---. It's a little hard to explain, but I hope you get the example. Where the numbers represent your low brass motive and the spaces the rhythm.

Cheers,

Jose

Thanks Jose, your always very kind and helpful at the same time. I looked up Massian, and it didn't seem like it would be the most helpful text. So then I looked up Schoeberg and of course he has published a billion books. Could perhaps you or anyone else for that matter recommend any text that would help me with composition techniques. I know a book can't teach you how to compose, just something that will perhaps give me a few pointers. Thanks ahead of time!
    -Evan

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

"Fundamentals of Musical Composition"

by Arnold Schoenberg

Also he has another book that actually has a workbook and exercises. I'll find this one for you too.

Best,

Jose

I'm going to buy the book along with some scores as soon as my visa check card gets in. I’m so excited I can finally buy things on the Internet without having to go to someone for help.... sweet!
    Well yesterday I finally got to see the finished product of FEAR and I have to say that I was really excited about the outcome, and the director was in LOVE with it, I can’t wait to do this for a living! Thanks for the encouragement and advice everyone especially you Jose!
    -Evan

Wow.. ok. 14 seconds into it, my first words were: holy sh_t. Nice production quality, man. You know, most pieces I hear on this forum are VERY well composed, or very well orchestrated, or both.. once in a while I'll hear something that has really killer production quality, but to be frank, it's rare. So, however you mix your stuff and whatever reverb you've got going on..nice stuff.

I love the slow buildup of this piece.. very tense.

How old are you by the way?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Gamble
    ...I can’t wait to do this for a living! -Evan
    Why wait? Start charging now. There's plenty of B films happening in Florida. Jump in and get your feet wet. Start sending your resume out.

It's a brutal business at times. At times very rewarding. Just always remember that the best training you're going to get is on the job.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any help with the Schoenberg book. I recommended this book to Mark Isham a while ago and he quickly incorporated it into his film and jazz work. He thought it was pretty cool.

Cheers,

Jose

Thanks alot Sam, this is probably the first time I've gotten a compliment on production, I'm usually slacking in that area...hehe. Thanks alot though! Oh and I just turned 18 last month.
    Mark Isham Jose? Well you know If I'm not doing Frank Darabont's next Film, I'm going to blame it on you . But seriously, where would I send a resume? Come on hook me up baby

You's got to hustle like the rest of us lions in the lair.

Get a listing of production companies in your area and start sending resumes and start making phone calls. After about one thousand resumes and 500 phone calls you might get something. The secret is to never give up in spite of any setbacks.

It's a rough business filled with some cruel people. But, there are some decent people too. You got to learn to work with them all.

If you got the stomach for it you'll end up in Los Angeles trying to duke it out with what is probably the most talented bunch of composers in the history of the world. All in one place. All with the similar goals. Ain't we lucky.

Cheers,

Jose

Thanks!

Go Back to forum